Advertisements
TIPM dreaded problem

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2018, 02:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry TIPM dreaded problem

My car is 2.2crd 2006 PT Ccruiser

my drivers side low beam went out so in went a new bulb... no joy!

Traced the problem to the TOTALLY INTERGRATED POWER MODULE.

I won't go into how crazy this design is, or whoever designed this needs shooting.

I can't even find any UK based repair services for this problem!

Is there no help for this?

Am I going to have to scrap my car over a failed low beam?????

Any help or assistance would be gratefully accepted
Old 04 Apr 2018, 03:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: TIPM dreaded problem

HERE'S A PICTURE OF THE tipm
i CAN'T FIND ANY OTHER FUSES/RELAYS FOR MY HEADLIGHTS (AND i CAN'T EVEN FIND A DEDICATED FUSE/RELAY ON THIS DIASGRAM FOR MY HEADLIGHTS?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IPMPage1.jpg (87.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IPMPage2.jpg (79.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IPMPage3.jpg (51.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 04 Apr 2018, 08:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Why don't you just tap the wire on the working bulb and run a new wire and ground to the one that isn't working?

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 04 Apr 2018, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Why don't you just tap the wire on the working bulb and run a new wire and ground to the one that isn't working?
Chuzz, you would need a relay and you would need someone that knows how the CAN Bus electrical system works.

CAN means 'Controller Area Network' and was developed by Bosch in 1980. Most new vehicles use this system and it is becoming increasingly difficult to install after-market products without using a CAN Bus Interface.

The second generation PT (2006+) went to the CAN BUSS system for all the electrical wiring. This system is very hard to work on and it seems even at the dealership, they tend to replace whole units controlling many parts rather then try and troubleshoot for a single fault. This is very evident when there's a fault with the TIPM (Power Module).

The information below is to do at your own risk. Also be aware we don't have 2.2crd 2006 PT Cruiser here in the U.S. that I am aware of. Make sure you have a friend that is qualified to do electrical/electronic work to help you if you are not sure of what you are doing.

Rather than replace the TIPM, you can use a relay and slaved the "input" signal to the relay off the other working headlight. So when you turn on the lights, the relay is energized and closes the circuit and the dead headlight is fed power from a fused link you put directly on the battery. This will ensure you are not putting more current on the wiring from the TIPM going to the headlight that is working. Just be aware that if the TIPM has circuits that are going bad it probably won't be long before other circuits will start going bad but it might be a temporary fix. The only reason I am posting this is because the information I am getting is that the dealer is not manufacturing new TIPM's and the rebuilt TIPM's are not 100% reliable. Members have had to try up to 4 TIPM's before finding a rebuilt one that works properly.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Apr 2018 at 09:47 am.
Old 04 Apr 2018, 11:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

I get what you're saying, Steve. I was just trying to give him an alternative rather than scrapping the car. I hate the TIPM setup. A LOT of people on the dodge caliber forum I'm a member of have the same problem with headlights. Most are splicing the wire with a relay and calling it done.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 04 Apr 2018, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I get what you're saying, Steve. I was just trying to give him an alternative rather than scrapping the car. I hate the TIPM setup. A LOT of people on the dodge caliber forum I'm a member of have the same problem with headlights. Most are splicing the wire with a relay and calling it done.
Absolutely nothing wrong with an alternative if it is done correctly and if the member can't afford a new TIPM..
Old 04 Apr 2018, 01:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the help.
Much Appreciated.
I will look into the 'feed off the other headlamp' idea
Old 04 Apr 2018, 02:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromwales View Post
thanks for the help.
Much Appreciated.
I will look into the 'feed off the other headlamp' idea
Make sure you have the new relay for "feed off the other headlamp" and get the source feed directly off the battery for the head lamp not working.
Old 05 Apr 2018, 03:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Barry; The high and low beams have separate ground wires, check them first. [total of 4] The TIPM doesn't have fuses for the headlights. It does have built-in circuit breakers inside of it that limit the amount of current going to each headlight. When the limit is exceeded, the circuit breaker pops. It takes a dealer type scan tool to reset the breaker.

A story from a Dodge truck site told of a guy who swapped his original working headlights for 'super bright' headlights. The extra amperage blew the breakers. No low beams. Swapped the originals back in. Still no low beams. He went to a local dealer and was told he needed a new TIPM. Then he went to a different dealer and they sent a tech-guy outside to his truck with a scan tool [?]. Ten minutes later he drove out with working headlights. No charge.

Guess which dealer he'll chose for his next service/parts?
rckstein likes this.
Old 05 Apr 2018, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Barry; The high and low beams have separate ground wires, check them first. [total of 4] The TIPM doesn't have fuses for the headlights. It does have built-in circuit breakers inside of it that limit the amount of current going to each headlight. When the limit is exceeded, the circuit breaker pops. It takes a dealer type scan tool to reset the breaker.

A story from a Dodge truck site told of a guy who swapped his original working headlights for 'super bright' headlights. The extra amperage blew the breakers. No low beams. Swapped the originals back in. Still no low beams. He went to a local dealer and was told he needed a new TIPM. Then he went to a different dealer and they sent a tech-guy outside to his truck with a scan tool [?]. Ten minutes later he drove out with working headlights. No charge.

Guess which dealer he'll chose for his next service/parts?
Pt06, the member can't even find any UK based repair services for this problem. This is the only reason we are suggesting an alternative way to get his Pt Cruiser headlight going again temporary until he can find a replacement.

Tags
tipm