PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Image required : end of crd engine please

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2018, 06:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Image required : end of crd engine please

A few users on the forum have just bypassed the connector... they just cut it off & crimped the wires together. No one has reported any problems that I know of.
I would run jumper wires from connector to connector to see if that was the problem first.
Alfie1 and Sinbad like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Oct 2018, 08:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie1 View Post
I've now run another earth from the radiator fan harness but still have no power for low/high speed fan from either of the other pins, as stated previously the fan runs quite happily at both speeds direct from the battery. I know that I have a spare permanently live connector in the fusebox that I could use and fit a switch to but I'd rather not have a separate switch if I can help it.

I'm quite likely to buy cable to re-run both speeds from the fuse/relay box to the fan connector if I can work out how to get the individual multi plugs in the fuse box out and apart but I need to get the high speed fan running urgently though and I suppose the easiest way is to run a cable from a switched live. My electrical knowledge is quite patchy/elderly - pre-relays for instance, up to about 1975 vehicles - so can anyone suggest a sensible starting point for the cable. I had thought to go directly from one of the horns but it's not that simple now is it.

Any thoughts please, all help would be appreciated. Thanks.
You'll get high speed fan (and cooling) by turning the AC on - (or you should, assuming it isn't empty)
If it is empty, you could trick the Low Pressure switch with a paperclip or twisted wire - but thats not good for your compressor. Compressor, he like oil.
However, used short term it would get your temperature down if you were threatening to overheat, ie in traffic.

Congrats on the water pump, glad it went well

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 09 Oct 2018, 08:41 am
Cool Cruiser

PT's can have horrible electrical gremlins fitted as standard in the factory and chopping into the wiring often brings even more out to play. I'd try and avoid it if possible. I did end up having to switch wire one side of the fan on the 2001 petrol - Whoever owed it before had done all manner of horrible splicing and hacking. Switch fans are never a great idea. You always forget it until it's too late. And too late is bloody expensive on a PT.
I reckon:
Get rid of the loom to fan connectors - use Lucas connectors or somesuch - anything you know will work.
Re-check earths - you could even splice a complete new one in while you were changing the connectors.
Check / swap relays, and wiggle then check all fuses
If all else fails, replace one wire at a time.

Probably teaching granny to suck eggs, but there we go
Alfie1 likes this.

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 09 Oct 2018, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I replaced both low and high speed fan power cables as far back as the fuse box which is probably too far back. Low power fan is on permanently so I've switched it until I have time to do it properly. High speed doesn't work at all other than direct from battery but I've assumed that's due to me getting a/c degassed for the water pump change and not refilling it yet.

I have no (obvious) relays on the fan surround like the petrol versions but there are 3 large terminal blocks on the frame behind and just below the left hand headlight and I think I should have gone to here instead for splicing the power leads in although it doesn't look like the fan power cables go in this direction.

It's all a big learning curve isn't it.

Thanks for all the assistance so far, at least it's driveable now and takes the urgency off. Regassing the a/c is next I think, even if it turns out that I need to switch the high speed fan too.
Sinbad likes this.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 09:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Bloody strange that the low fan stays on all the time... did you check out the temp sensor to see if it was behaving itself? Did the fan go off if you disconnected the sensor?

(Bit blind leading the blind here, because I've never really been under the bonnet of a Mk1 diesel except to look - so take it with a pinch of salt)

Bollocks to Brexit