PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Image required : end of crd engine please

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2018, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Image required : end of crd engine please

I'm having the same type of water problems as others are describing at the moment. Mine is a 2003 crd with 143k on it. I've changed the thermostat and overflow tank pressure cap as they are easy to do.

I have no leaks and no drop in performance but there is no heat at all in either the radiator or in the car. Temperature gauge is working fine and after 15 miles or so it starts creeping towards 3/4.

I know at least one speed of the fan doesn't work and have a new motor ready to fit, have swapped relays around to test this.

I have a water pump on it's way too as I believe the water is not being circulated due to a pump impeller problem. Can anyone steer me towards a decent resolution image of the water pump end of the engine so that I can see what I will be looking for. (no decent pics on ebay or google images that I can see).

I also have a slight idling problem in that the heater control fan switch inside sometimes adds 300 rpm to the engine at idle, either fan or a/c will do this.

Thanks for any assistance and I will update accordingly.
Tom
Old 23 Sep 2018, 10:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Image required : end of crd engine please

Et voila...

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 23 Sep 2018, 10:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie1 View Post
I'm having the same type of water problems as others are describing at the moment. Mine is a 2003 crd with 143k on it. I've changed the thermostat and overflow tank pressure cap as they are easy to do.

I have no leaks and no drop in performance but there is no heat at all in either the radiator or in the car. Temperature gauge is working fine and after 15 miles or so it starts creeping towards 3/4.

I know at least one speed of the fan doesn't work and have a new motor ready to fit, have swapped relays around to test this.

I have a water pump on it's way too as I believe the water is not being circulated due to a pump impeller problem. Can anyone steer me towards a decent resolution image of the water pump end of the engine so that I can see what I will be looking for. (no decent pics on ebay or google images that I can see).

I also have a slight idling problem in that the heater control fan switch inside sometimes adds 300 rpm to the engine at idle, either fan or a/c will do this.

Thanks for any assistance and I will update accordingly.
Tom
Tom, might be worth changing the coolant sensor before you go any further - you know... that thing you looked at when you changed the thermostat and thought... "Nah... they never go wrong"

EDIT: sorry first coffee and rushing to get out to work... the above is probably total boolax and you're on the right track with the water pump *assuming* that you have thoroughly back flushed everything and know that it's flowing OK, especially the heater

When it comes to actually changing the water pump - it looks a bit of a moo - and I just checked and the service manual doesn't even list it as a job

Bollocks to Brexit

Last edited by Sinbad; 23 Sep 2018 at 10:30 pm.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 01:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sinbad, Thanks for the speedy pic, I can see half the water pump is hidden behind the lifting bracket / engine mount but it doesn't look that bad.

I am assuming that it's a LH engine mount off and drop one end of the engine type job, it's good that there is no timing belt to worry about but I've read somewhere that the water pump is in a sandwich with the power steering pump as well, so that sounds like fun.

With regards to the temp sensor, the crd thermostat comes in a replacement body with a new sensor in it, so that 'should' be ok.

Thanks.
Tom
Sinbad likes this.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 09:47 am
Cool Cruiser

You'll be pushed for space to drop it anywhere except straight out the bottom Tom. Removing the timing chain cover is an engine out job, which should give you an idea how tight things are.

However, once you get the front off things look a bit better, and it could be by dodging between working "upstairs" and in the space between the front drivers side wheel and the frame, once the serpentine belt is out the way and you drop the torque arm off (both easy) you'll probably be OK?

I've never done this job, and as I said the repair manual is the proverbial chocolate teapot - but I'd suggest:

1) get the radiator / fan / AC out - look carefully and you will find two 10mm bolts that hold the radiator to the intercooler. With those out, you can leave the intercooler and it's hoses in situ (It took me three goes taking the hoses off the intercooler to find those bloody bolts but they are there)

2) take the serpentine belt off (I ground the open end off an old 14mm combi spanner and stuck the ring end of it in a piece of pipe to beat the tensioner)

3) get the alternator off (it does *just* come off, honest - you'll see what I mean )

4) Drop the torque link off the engine (jack under engine!!) then lower it a tad and see what you've got...

5) While you're at it, with the alternator off you can access the last bolt on the inlet manifold which is well worth taking a look inside - mine was full of crap for the EGR and the difference once it's clear and you carefully clean the inlet ports with a scraper and vacuum cleaner is unbelievable.

I'll see if I've got some more pics for you on the phone later that might help you.
rockandroller likes this.

Bollocks to Brexit

Last edited by Sinbad; 24 Sep 2018 at 09:51 am.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 02:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Some pics of the engine with the radiator(s) removed Tom

Hope they help

Alfie1 likes this.

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 24 Sep 2018, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, this looks like it could be interesting doesn't it. I can see that the alternator will need to come off, for a better view if nothing else but was hoping to do it without removing all the rads.

I'm not expecting the water pump to arrive until the end of the week anyway. I'm still currently using it as work is only seven miles each way and any queues are in the other direction. It's just going up to normal on the gauge but rad and pipes are cold as is the heater still.

With regard to the idling (non-) issue, i have blown a fiver on another set of controls thinking that it 'might' be the fan control itself that is the problem as opposed to the wiring and it is cheap enough to find out.

Thanks again Sinbad for the images, some of that I wouldn't have seen as I'm really rather hoping not to remove the engine entirely, luckily if I run out of time I have use of another car (or indeed a bus pass).

Sadly extra time spent on this means less time on my renault dauphine project while it's dry.

Tom
Old 25 Sep 2018, 02:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine manual crd 2003?

Is there a downloadable manual covering 2.2crd engine for 2003?. I have access to manuals covering everything else and although the diesel is mentioned sometimes, there is nothing else about the engine.

Thanks.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 08:26 am
Cool Cruiser

LionPT sent me a download link to a 2007 service manual that covers the later 2.2 pretty comprehensively.

Not sure that much changed physically between the engines except they wrung more horses out of the second iteration (stuff like your EGR is rubber hose driven, later are electronic etc)

Here's my thread, if he doesn't see this, try bumping it
Alfie1 and LionPT like this.

Bollocks to Brexit
Old 25 Sep 2018, 09:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

@Alfie1 PM Sent
Alfie1 and Sinbad like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost