Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
JDM 2 piece grill set. HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2005, 09:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default JDM 2 piece grill set. HELP!

Hey guys. I recently purchased a JDM grill set, you know the ones that have chrome beaded overly on the stock grill. The top only took me five minutes. A breeze. I am completely lost on the lower grill. I just cannot figure out how this thing goes on without cutting parts off the lower grill. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I have to cut off some of the original grill to make it fit? The lower grill is all one piece under the bumper. Any input would be great!

Mikey
05 Cruiser
Old 14 Jul 2005, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Mike.
I am not familiar with the brand and haven't done overlay grills, but a couple of ideas...
Did you get the right one? All PTs have the same top grill area. 1) Turbo-engine PTs have a bigger bottom grill area to feed air to intercooler. 2) Not sure why, but convertible lower grill is a separate piece:
http://www.chrysler.com/pt_cruiser_c...os/index.html#

Check with the seller if it's for turbo or convertible.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jul 2005, 12:41 pm
Young Cruiser

The grill is actually an original dealership part I bought from a used parts store. You may be right about the turbo thing. I know it will still fit if I cut some of the bottom grill off. I guess I'm just debating on wheather I should do that or not.

Mikey
05 Cruiser
Old 15 Jul 2005, 12:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Without more info it is hard to give advice, but if yours is the turbo and the grill is for the non-turbo model the bottom grills are so different that I doubt it will ever look right. If yours is a non-turbo and the grill is for the turbo, you MIGHT be able to cut it down to make it work. The lower turbo grill is larger than the non-turbo lower grill to provide extra air to the intercooler.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 07:45 pm
Young Cruiser

You are right Michael. The turbo lower grill & the non-turbo lower grill are completely different. The turbo has a cutout that a separate grill piece goes over & the non-turbo is all one piece with the lower bumper. I have decided to just have the turbo grill up top & leave the lower alone. No one will notice but me & a few PT guys & gals out there.

Here's a pic of a lower grill/bumper off a turbo. See the cutout.

Here is a photo of the 2 piece turbo grill set I bought.

Mikey
05 Cruiser
Old 15 Jul 2005, 08:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm getting more and more confused about these bumper fascias.

I have a '04 GT Turbo and it has the lower grill as one piece with the bumper cover. Up 'till a few days ago I thought both the turbo and n/a's were all one piece. Every one that I'd seen was.

Lately I've seen a post or two about these lower grills being separate. When did this start?

I thought that I had figured out that the N/A fascia had a sharper front edge under the foglights and a black, squeegee thing at the bottom. And the turbo had a much thicker, rounded edge with a small lip at the bottom.

Here's a pix of a fascia from my '04 GT Turbo that was damaged and taken off. Maybe you can see what I'm talking about. One piece, thicker under fogs (the angle is best if you look at the right side), lip.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 10:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey 2step. Your pic is exactly how the bottom my non-turbo pt grill looks like.

I was just looking at my 05 brochure I got from the dealer & it shows a GT with the separate grill then on another page it shows a GT with a one piece. What gives? Can anyone out there shed some light on this confusion?

This is not my PT but from what I can tell it is NOT a GT.
See the one piece bottom grill & I also just noticed it has 2 indentions in the front of the bumper & a U shaped indention just beneath the upper grill, which the GT does not. The fogs are NOT as thick as 2step's are.

This also is not my PT but from I can tell it IS a GT. As you can see the bumper is just like 2step's except his is a one piece. ?.
See how the bumper is smooth in the front & the indention on top is not there. Fogs are thicker.

So if anyone can explain this, please do. It will clear up some confusion for alot of us. Oh, by the way, I called the dealership & asked several people. Their answer..."I don't know what you're talking about. They are all the same."

Mikey
05 Cruiser
Old 16 Jul 2005, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The last photo you showed Mikey is, as you state, definitely NOT a GT. If you look closely, you will notice that the lower left and lower right corners of the non-turbo grill don't actually have an opening in them. On the turbo grills, the lower left and right corners are actually open to let more air in since they are larger, as shown in the turbo grille that you got from JDM. The entire bottom row of the turbo grille is much more open than the non-turbo.

As to the difference between the removable bottom grill bars and the integral bottom grill bars, I am at a loss unless this changed in '05 or in mid-year '05's. All of the PT grills that I have seen had the integral lower grill bars. Your photo of the lower fascia with the mounting holes for the lower grill is the first I have seen.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 08:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mikey, you took your photos off your host page so we can't see them anymore.

The biggest difference between the N/A and Turbo has been the lower area, under the foglights. On the N/A it's sharp, like an ax blade. On the Turbo it's blunt, like a two by four. Very easy to spot which is which on the highway.

I'm starting to think that Chrysler has started to make one bumper fascia for both and different lower grills for each model but I'm just guessing.[:I]
Old 16 Jul 2005, 09:24 pm
Young Cruiser

That's probably the situation 2step. I'm just wondering why they did this & when it started. When I bought my grill they did not specify whether it would fit my PT or not. It still looks good though! I will take a pic of it tomorrow & you guys can tell me how it looks with just the top grill on.

Mikey
05 Cruiser