Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Those with Purple Flames on Black Cruisers--

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2003, 11:42 am
Young Cruiser

Default Those with Purple Flames on Black Cruisers--

Since nobody answered my previous post about purple flames on white, I know that the factory offered the purple flames on black cruisers. Since I haven't seen one of these setups close, what I need to know is HOW the flames fade off at the bottom of the decal. For instance, does the flame decal itself fade to black, or does it fade to clear. Hence, if I put them on my white cruiser, will it fade to black (and look bad), or fade out completely, so white will show instead? Any help (or closeup pics) would be great. Thank you!
Old 20 May 2003, 03:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Maybe these pictures will help...[8D] Good luck.[8)]

Old 21 May 2003, 12:20 pm
Young Cruiser

I've seen those pics (as well as a few from members). Unfortunately, it doesn't illustrate the BOTTOM of the flames & how they 'disappear' or end. . .

Thanks for the reply.
Old 26 May 2003, 12:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

I got a black Pt w/ purple flames. The decal color consists of a bunch of tiny dots, kinda like a newspaper. The purple appears to fade because the parts that are "really purple" have larger ( but still tiny) purple dots and as it fades, the dots become smaller. The color appears to fade away as those dots approach almost microscopic proportions, and the decal ends there, kinda "horizontally." Note that there is a blue border around the flames...as for a black background on those decals, I gotta check a little more closely, but I'll let you know...[xx(]
Old 27 May 2003, 09:17 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the intel-- that helps a bunch. If you could find out whether it was black background on the 'fadeout' I would be forever in your debt . . . Maybe.
Old 28 May 2003, 02:35 am
Regular Cruiser

OK here's what I've observed, but you may be dissappointed, or even more confused: The part of the flame that is "really purple" appears to be "checkerboarded" with the color black(think of a tiny black and purple checkerboard.) The purple fades to the bottom as I had described earlier.. purple dots diminishing in size. It is difficult to tell, but to me, it appears that the color black IS part of the decal, and not a clear background to the purple dots. If this is the case, Chrysler did a hell of a job matching that black background to the body color. This may be the reason why they offer certain flame color schemes with a particular body color.

BUT I COULD BE WRONG!!!!! ( I hope I am cuz those purple flames on a white cruiser would look cool..)

I would suggest calling Chrysler or Mopar to get the whole story on those flames ( you wouldnt believe how many places I've called/ people i've bugged to get info on tire fitment!) Maybe your local dealership/body shop installed them on a PT. If those flames weren't so damn expensive, I'd lift up a little corner on mine to find out, cuz now I'm a little curious myself!!! I hope this was helpful, but don't give up! Good Luck...[xx(]
Old 29 May 2003, 12:22 pm
Young Cruiser

I have purple and gray flames on my 2001 black PT. I got the flames from a company called Trim Line Design and the total cost including installation was $160. You might want to consider an aftermarket company like this one.
[img][/img]