Advertisements
xenon side skirts

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 340x

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2006, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default xenon side skirts

Sorry to post what I know is a repeat but can't seem to find. Think it's me and being a really bad searcher but anyways learned about brakets available etc. but my question is what 3M tape to use for install. Got mine off ebay, no directions etc. came with them and assume a particular thickness etc. is recommended. No friends in the auto body and always prefere to do the work myself ( not only cheap but poor too he he). Would appreciat any help or advise since I've never installed skirts before. Prepped and ready, just waiting on the correct paint and needed to install the tape and see if I should make my own brackets prior to install. Thanks
Old 04 Jun 2006, 11:55 am
Cool Cruiser

I too am 'cheap & poor' and do all my own work. I too have just installed the XENON skirts. The fit is great, and the fronts attach well. The rear only attach to the bottom with a overhang of product at the top. The middle really does need some sort of support. I don't know if the 3M tape comes in different thickness, but it would help. I don't know if you can double-up on the tape, maybe that's the answer, anyway, you need one continous run of tape from front to back.
Old 04 Jun 2006, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My question is what type and size of 3m tape. I don't have any.
MODS:dual ram-air hood, flames, carbon fiber interior kit,dvd nav tv tuner 7\"touchscreen, Fosgate 4 channel amp, 12\" dual subs with LED box, mb-quart modual speakers, windshild visor, leather racing seats, Goldline springs 3\"drop, Tokico shocks, BOV, C.F. tail lights, and more. Need to install xeon side skirts, rocker pod guages.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 07:54 pm
BluCruza

I have the Xenon skirts fitted to my ride. I went the `Bonded` on route as I have no intention of removing them. I have read on other forums of owners using 3m tape and experiencing no problems.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would go the "bondo" way on the aspects if it's done right but the time and skill level's are beyond me when it comes to feathering in to cover the sanded parts of the actual merging of parts to appear almost as one and the cost isn't an option with the wife just getting her real estate lic. and you know how that goes, more money out than in plus she's having some dental surgery done ( bone grafs) with a root canal and two wisdom teeth all supposidly next month. The child needs braces and the wife will need another car other than here jeep wrangler to use for her new career once she takes the state lic. test in two weeks. With me an enlisted smo jo in the Navy, it's kind of tight around here and I've had these skirts lying around since Christmas. So tape it is, does anyone know the actual thickness to use etc?
MODS:dual ram-air hood, flames, carbon fiber interior kit,dvd nav tv tuner 7\"touchscreen, Fosgate 4 channel amp, 12\" dual subs with LED box, mb-quart modual speakers, windshild visor, leather racing seats, Goldline springs 3\"drop, Tokico shocks, BOV, C.F. tail lights, and more. Need to install xeon side skirts, rocker pod guages.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 02:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: xenon side skirts

I have installed the Xenon Body kit on my 05 Convertible. There is a correct thickness to use on the kits but it has to be ordered. Also, you need to order the adhesion promoter tubes that go with the adhesive. They are like rear view mirror cleaner tubes that you break and swab on basically.
I bought a kit that had been pre-installed on a 4 door car. They had tried using multiple layers of tape, it didn't work. The previous owner told me he had to reapply it every year. I didn't want that. Typical tape thickness from the parts stores is .031 or .045". That is about half of what you need. I bought the .093" from a 3M supplier, it is the thickest available. You have to buy a full spool at about $100 with the adhesion Promotor but it is worth it. It has been on the car for 3 years with no problems. There is enough to do two cars on a spool. I have some left over with the promotor. Anything less, thinner or different brand, you will have problems and have to fix it, again, and again.
CruiserMike likes this.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 11:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: xenon side skirts

I agree with "340"!
Have the side skirts on soonercruiser, and they should be mounted with screws in the wheel ell areas.
***I also did have one come loose on me last year. I don't rememeber the cause. But, I simply used adhesion promoter and placed a second layer there.