Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mirror housing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2003, 12:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Mirror housing

Can retrofit a foldaway mirror OEM from 2001-02 to replace the 2003 non foldings?
Old 31 May 2003, 12:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I would check to be sure the mounting hardware is in the same place. From what I can tell from the service manual, the wiring for the heated mirrors is still active, as well as the fuse. The defrost switch in the lower center console still shows wiring to heat the mirrors when switched in.
Old 31 May 2003, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

The 01-02 OEM mirrors are a perfect fit. I've made the conversion. The hardest part is pulling out the door panel to make the electrical connection. Also, for the additional cost you really should have the mirrors painted your body color which does require them to be sanded smooth before you retrofit.
Old 31 May 2003, 01:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Dennis,

Thanks for the verification of the fit.

Can you verify that the defrost (heated mirror) function is also restored when you swap with the previous year(s) mirrors?

I also agree that the color match process is best undertaken before the swap.

As soon as I can find a set in a junkyard from a wrecked PT (or a number of wrecked ones that will yield a set in good shape), I plan on making the same swap.
Old 31 May 2003, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The heated mirror function works on my GT. It was built in July of last year. However, if your supply connector has 5 wires running to it (3-power;2-heater) you are in business. I bought my mirrors from Wyckoff @ 103.50 a pop. If you know anybody that has had an encounter with the side of their garage door pillar with any make of car this price is as good as it gets. In addition, don't try to paint them yourself with factory spray cans. My color is inferno red. There are at least six different shades of this color. The factory spray can wasn't even close. I used my gas filler cap for a color match and even then my local "guaranteed perfect match" body shop came up with a form of color blindness.
Old 01 Jun 2003, 12:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Good points. The swing-aways saved my mirrors at least once on the '02 Touring edition I traded in on my '03 GT. My GT was made in 11/02, so I think it should work. I will give some thought to the Wycoff price. I just ordered the diagnostic manual set from themand have ordered from them in the past also.

One of my brother-in-laws is in the paint and body business, and I would probably have him do the honors on the paint....
Old 14 Jun 2003, 02:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Great,thanks.
I saw the ones at wyckoff and was contemplating purchasing them. I wasn't sure if DC had changed something so I held off pending inquiries into compatibility. I don't car if they are heated, just that they fold. Never had probs with my 2001, just the lack of option disturbs my sensibilities.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 14 Jun 2003, 05:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

[8D]PTGT Redman
Dude, thats not just another nice car, thats a great pic.

I also have a red '02, with a few mods.
Check it out on my site below and let me know what you think.

Red Rocks

[8)]still braggin' (like we all do)