Old 02 Jul 2003, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headlight assembly for the PT

>
>
> I was looking for lights like these
>
> http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/pt-of-the-week/
> and I cannot find a URL link or telephone number to find the specs and a place to buy.

The only information is that they came from Germany ( Pro-Felge)

and has anyone ever installed them? Do they have a turn signal embedded in them?
>
> Help!
Old 02 Jul 2003, 03:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well , those lamps are made by a company in Germany called VestaTech.Their web site is www.vmaxx.de, which shows the complete kit, including the lamps, bumper cover, grille, roll pan and rear lamps.
The headlamp modules they use are the Hella 90mm high and low beam modules, which you can buy here in the US.The Hella part numbers are 68136 and 68137, *but*, we do not sell the brackets and bexels and harness connectors.Hella, my employer, considered selling these parts here in the US, but the headlamps are not SAE Certified.They get rid of the factory integrated turn signal, and this is the reson they are not SAE.The only way we could sell them was going to be with an external turn signal, mounted on top of the fender, which , believe it or not, was a turn signal off of an old Beetle.This is why we did not choose to sell them here.I plan on getting a set of these, but tyhey cost an arm and a leg, even for me getting them with 'connections', I'm looking at $300 or so just for the brackets and bezels, since I have the lamps themselves here.You can also get the lamps in a true HID, 68139 and 68140U (the 68140U is not SAE Certified).Lucky for me, we have the bumper cover here from when we looked at selling them, so I will be getting that for free.It also uses Hella 90mm Fog Lamps and Audi European Turn Signals mounted in the cover.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 02 Jul 2003, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Pretty expensive - too bad they don't incorporate a turn signal and utilize a simple conversion harness. I do think there is a market, especially considering all the aftermarket stuff now available. Other than replacement lamps, no one has done anything with the headlight assemblies.

I think they add some additional character to the front end - but I don't want to trade an arm and a leg for it

thanks for your reply

george
Old 02 Jul 2003, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, honestly, Cutter, you can get these lamp modules for about $25-$35 a piece, and although it wouldn't be easy, you could fabricate a bracket.The hard part would be a bezel.The easiest way would be to get a headlamp cover, since it's already made the same shape as the original opening, and use that as a starting point.
I have an even better looking idea if I ever get around to it.I want to use 90mm Xenon Low Beams on the outside, and Hella Micro DE Xenon Driving Beams for the high Beams, which are only about a 2" diameter.Don't hold your breathe though.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 02 Jul 2003, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well if you ever get to the round to it stage - I would be interested might help defray some of the "development" costs. I wanted something different, with some type of signal embedded. The shop that did mine, could do it, but I am not familiar enough with the components

I can send a pic of my PT but not sure how to attach am image - do you know how? does it attach to the reply or to the profile

it is two toned ( grey over original cranberry with orange pin stripe), Whipple equipped, Nology wires,Kool Plugs, short-throw Hurst E&G grill and visor, Xenon front, rear and spoiler, brushed wheels, blue dots in the tails, ( I had the originals painted but like the blue dots better), all labels on the exterior removed ( everyone knows it is a PT already

George
Old 02 Jul 2003, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hey man, I wanna put blue dots in my tails, but every time I try with those things, drilling the holes for them cracks the lenses.How did you do yours without them cracking?

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 02 Jul 2003, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually I had no trouble

I used a hole cutter - drill bit style and lined it up under a drill press. The bit has a starter point so the only thing I had to be careful about was getting it on center.

There is a description on Pt Cruiser-do-it-yourself.com

where is the best plae to buy the The Hella part numbers are 68136 and 68137 components? for the least $'s