PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help removing front turn signal reflector.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2003, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help removing front turn signal reflector.

Does anyone know how to get inside the assembly to take that orange reflector out? Want to put purple turn bulbs in for show, and the reflector makes it look crappy.
Old 05 Jul 2003, 10:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not for the faint of heart or people in a big rush, but read this from the PTE forums: http://ptenthusiasts.org/PTForums/sh...threadid=31981
Old 06 Jul 2003, 01:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wish I had known about that thread BEFORE I took mine apart. Good thing I picked up an extra assembly at the boneyard for an ouchy $75, but if greatly reduced the mod fear factor...

A couple of notes:

1. Disassembly description by CHINO is accurate. Be careful not to aim the heat gun in the clear lens as it will spider web the plastic.

2. DO NOT clean any of the "chrome" surfaces with anything other than distilled water. It will remove the shine immediately and make you [xx(]

2a. I also painted the same assembly as CHINO, but in a satin black. The turn signal reflector still chrome. In addition, I kept the reflector (although I pinstriped it with 1/8" black vinyl tape to subdue it) and put in a set of APC titanium bulbs.

3. Reassembly took more time for me. I heated and removed as much gasket goo as I could. Here's a tip: To get that sticky black crap off the lens, let it cool slightly then use duct tape. Press it over the goo and rip it off. You'll be amazed...

Continuing onward, after most of the original goo was removed from the backing channel, I layed in a heavy bead of 3M Window Weld (the stuff they use to seal windshields) and used a clamping system for 2 hours until dry.

Two notes:

3a. The Window Weld is not the exact product to use. First I tried black silicone but it was too watery - and a total MESS - to work with. The other problem with it is it isn't tacky enough to hold the lens and backing together. Perhaps someone out there knows the trade name of the OEM bonding agent and will post it here.

3b. When heating plastic, there's always the possibility of "tweaking" it. To assure a more positive seal than the 4 factory retaining clips can provide, I rigged up a clamping system consisting of a c-clamp, a pipe-clamp and one of those rubbery jar opening discs used in the kitchen. This thing was cut into quarters and used as grippers to give the clamps squeezing traction. The clamps are an important step in assuring a quality seal.

4. BTW, removing the headlamp assemblies requires removing the front bumper... if you want to save your sanity and chipped paint. And it's easy to do, too.

I've had mine done since spring and have no water leaks while driving in Midwestern rain storms.

Boy, does it looks great [?] Did anyone notice it at CTFIII? Unless you have an eye for detail, it looks somewhat like those headlamp stickers. My wife and I looked all over and no one else had done this mod Hope this offers some encouragement.
Old 06 Jul 2003, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, appreciate the help, it looks like a more daunting task than I imagined, but I will have to give it a go sooner or later, don't like the look of that reflector with the purple bulbs.
2003 Cranberry GT. Turbosmart manual boost controller and blow off valve, Autometer boost guage, custom cold air intake, APC carbon Fiber Euro Taillights, Street Glow purple under car neon, purple grill neon.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 11:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

BTW, here's how they turned out:

It's worth the effort [?]
Old 14 Jul 2003, 01:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

A friend of mine gave me one trick he did for his PT to remove the reflector without opening anything.

Use a screwdriver and pry off the reflector.
Then, insert a needle nose plier thru the bulb hole and pinch the reflector until it breaks. You will have to break it into a few pieces then take them out thru the bulb hole and you are done.

I will try this next weekend.

Ian
Old 25 Jul 2003, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyFarrar

Wow, I like those lights Stephen, Ive always wondered how that trim piece would look black. Do you have any more pics of it?[:X]
Old 28 Jul 2003, 02:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

That's the best one.

Seriously, the blacked-out portion seperates from the headlight reflectors so all you have to do is scratch-up the chrome (ex: 600 grit or maybe 409 would work too), Vasoline the blinker chrome, shoot the color you want, wait, then wipe off the goo with Q-Tips, a wash cloth & WATER.

This is a timely process so start on it on a Friday evening.