Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dash Mounted Fog Light Switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2007, 10:16 am
Young Cruiser

Question Dash Mounted Fog Light Switch

Hello all - I just purchased my first PT last week and love it. 2005 basic convertible. This is also my first post. I want to add fog lights. I check with the dealer and was quoted $422.00. I think that's a bit much for fog lights. After reading all the posts I found, I took the covers out of the bumper and found the plugs for the lights clipped to the housing as they should.

I'm going to do the install myself, and I have an electrician's license so I "know" what I'm doing. My question is this: everywhere I've looked, parts online, ebay, etc. I keep running across two different Mopar sets - some say they include the steering column switch, while others state they include a dash mounted switch.

After reading all of the posts referencing the overheated column switches, I will probably opt to the dash-mounted version. Can someone tell me where this switch mounts? I have had the bezel off of the center stack when installing a new stereo and notices my switch bank has one wiring plug attached to one of the dummy plates between the rear defrost and top release buttons. Is this the plug for the fog lights or for traction control?

Those wires will determine if I order an entire kit, or if I can just purchase a switch and wire the lights in.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any and all information!

Last edited by arkansascarnut; 05 Dec 2007 at 10:17 am. Reason: typo
Old 05 Dec 2007, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dash Mounted Fog Light Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansascarnut View Post
Is this the plug for the fog lights or for traction control?
That should be for the Traction Control. The only switch for the fog lights is in the multifunction stalk on the steering column. In the center console, does your base model have the heated rear window and rear wiper switch? What you wouldn't have is the traction control switch. I used the two blank panels to add a push button for my Ahooga Horn and a lighted switch for the undercar LED lights. You could do the same.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 05 Dec 2007, 05:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the information. Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post, but I have a convertible so I don't have the rear wiper option. The only switches I have are the rear window defrost and the convertible top retract button. When I pulled the dash, there is a wire plug snapped into the switch bank on the back of one of the dummy plates. I'm just trying to figure out what that plug is for.
Old 05 Dec 2007, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's still probably the Traction control but maybe someone with a vert that is the Touring or Limited Edition will see this thread and let you know what switches he/she has.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 05 Dec 2007, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I purchased a fog light kit from Wykoff Chrysler Parts for my 2002, it came with all parts except the "blinker" which has to be taken from the MF switch. It was much LESS than the price you were quoted. I'm thinking somewhare around $250.00 try jeff@wykoffchrysler.com Good Luck!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Dec 2007, 07:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

The kit is currently $120 at Wyckoff here:
Wyckoff Chrysler Online site

82205451 is the model number of the kit you need. The kit includes a new multi-function switch, which is the switch that some people have problems with. Personally, since changing out the switch is so easy, I'd rather have the factory setup. Since you said you had the wiring in place, this is a very easy installation.

I've had the multifunction switch on my 04 go bad. once, and the new switch cost me about $70 from Chrysler. You'll get a new one with the kit.

Wyckoff has a link to the instructions right there, check them out and you'll see it's an easy job.

Good luck!
srg
Old 06 Dec 2007, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/SRG. The wiring harness will bring the fogs wiring to the steering column, not the center console. You'll have to find and re-route the wiring to get it to the center console, if that's what you want to do.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Dec 2007, 10:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansascarnut View Post
Thanks for the information. Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post, but I have a convertible so I don't have the rear wiper option. The only switches I have are the rear window defrost and the convertible top retract button. When I pulled the dash, there is a wire plug snapped into the switch bank on the back of one of the dummy plates. I'm just trying to figure out what that plug is for.
As mentioned above it is for the optional "Traction Control" manual turn off switch.

The only true factory Fog Lamp set up goes through the Multi Function / Headlamp switch, as most if not all State Laws require the parking/tail lamps to be on when using the fog lamps, so the multifunction switch is set up not to allow the fog lamps with out the tail lamps.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/

Last edited by Dream4; 06 Dec 2007 at 10:25 am.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 11:39 am
Young Cruiser

Wow - thanks for all the great help. I'm ordering the fog light kit today.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 01:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Do the States differentiate between fog lights and Daytime Running Lights? I've added some wiring to my truck and the wife's PT which make them DRLs as well as fog lights.