Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rocket taillights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2007, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question rocket taillights

I really want to get a pair of the Cal Cruiser rocket taillights. I looked at the page they have that explains the installation. Maybe someone who has these taillights could answer some questions for me. First, they don't mention what happens to the original bulbs. Do they just tuck under the new taillights and still function like normal even though they're not visible? What do you do if the rocket taillight burns out?
Old 26 Dec 2007, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rocket taillights

Should just replace the stock tails, and bulbs the same way.
Get them here:
PT Cruiser Taillights - Rocket (Painted add $90): Race and Street

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Dec 2007, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, get the taillights from Race & Street. I just got mine there and when I asked for instructions, I was pointed to the Calif. site to read how to install them.

It sounds kind of far out, but yes the top lights (turn signal lights) are still in the recess blinking away even though you can't see them. I tried taking out the bulbs but then the lights on the outside don't work. The bottom lights are different and the bulb on the inside doesn't have to be in the socket. The instructions are pretty clear on the Calif. site.

To answer your question, if the lights burn out, the bulbs can be replaced without too much trouble.
I also just changed both bulbs that came with the lights. I put LED's in the stop/brake lights (red), and halogen in the turn signal lights (amber). Both the LED's and turn signals are now twice as bright as the original bulbs that came in the rockets.

Last thing. If your state is picky about the vehicle laws and you have state inspections, these Rocket tail lights are ILLEGAL. All cars have to have a 2 inch square red reflective piece at the rear at the lights or on the side of the vehicle that can be seen from the side. The Rockets don't have this reflective piece. I'm in Florida with no state inspection and I work for law enforcement.

Last but not least, all aftermarket tail lights (that I've seen) do not fit the recess as good as the OEM lights do. There always seem to be a small gap all the way round the edge. On dark cars this gap doesn't show up as much as light colored PT's. I put a thin strip of chrome door edge molding around the Rocket tail lights to take up that gap. I have enough chrome on the car to make it bend in.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Dec 2007 at 06:20 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

looks nice !!
Old 27 Dec 2007, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If there needs to be a 2 square inch reflector visible from the side, you would think the Pteazer Teardrop Lights would also be illegal for the same reason, but their site says

"The older version of our tail lights are intended for show purposes and may not meet legal requirements in your state for street use.

NEW LED lens DOT approved! Upgrade your old PTeazer Tear Drop Tail Light lens with the LED lights for just $199!! Contact us to upgrade!"

Also, some vehicles do not have the taillights visible from the side right from the factory, such as Corvettes, though they do have side marker lights. I know the rocket taillights probably aren't DOT approved so if I use the teardrops, could I get around this by just putting side markers on the rear of my PT?

Last edited by Megalon; 27 Dec 2007 at 06:15 pm.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't say about the new tear drop lights but if they are DOT approved, then somewhere is a red reflector that you can see from the side, and that's how companies get away with selling any of the lights. They just say they are for shows and off road use only, so it's not their fault if you use them on a street car.

Your right about the Corvette (I have and 87) and yes the reflector is on the side of the car along with countless other cars. Look around at every stock car on the road, you'll see a reflective red lens somewhere at the rear and an amber reflective lens at the front. The amber lens on the PT is built into the headlights.
Old 09 Jan 2008, 06:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey gang. I am new to this forum and am really enjoying reading the post. I have just bought a 2001 Cruiser and am really enjoying it. It has lots of aftermarket stuff on it, including the Rockets. One of the lenses seems very loose. I am planning to remove it and see what the problem is. I noticed that the turn signals flash really fast. Anyone else have this problem?

thanks, Bobster
Old 09 Jan 2008, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bobster, Welcome to the forum.

Usually when the lights blink really fast it's on one side only and it means that one of the bulbs, either front or back is burnt out. Less draw of current because of the burnt out bulb lets the flasher blink faster, or it's built into the computer system that when a bulb is burnt out, they flash faster to let you know that one of the bulbs is burnt out.

Did it blink faster before this, or just start the fast blink.

If you have the same setup of Rocket taillights as mine, there's one screw on the side that keeps the lens tight but to get to it, you have to take the whole light out of the back of the car and get to the screws that hold the lens in from the rear. You'll see what I mean when you take the whole light system out from the rear fender. Only one Torx head screw holds the whole thing in but you can use a flat head screwdriver to take it out. When you take the screw out, pul down gently on the whole light to release the top tab.
Old 09 Jan 2008, 11:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks so much for your reply to my problem. I just bought the car with all its upgrades. The left and right turn signals flash very fast. The Rocket lenses are loose and flop around on the right side only. I have parked the car for the meantime while trying to fix some of the ugrades. E&G is all over the car. Vertical grille, Bumpers, sunshield, running boards and continental kit I love it all but a lot of stuff needs fixin. The grille is falling apart due to the tabs that hold the billet grilles in place are broken from vibration I guess. The shells are ABS and I hope to be able to glue new tabs on. I have a dealer in Louisville checking on the cost of just replacing the lower grille shell. The billet parts are near perfect. I hope to use the car in some local cruises this spring and summer. Car only has 58k miles but most of the upgrades need some type of repair. 3M double sided tape dont last as long as I figured. THe black rubber inserts on the running boards has shrunk at least 4 inches in length. Gonna have to remove the rubber and the old tape to get ready to glue new treads on. Lots of work. Love the car though. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, I'll check all the bulbs for the flashing problem.

Have a great day, Bobster
Old 10 Jan 2008, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: rocket taillights

Depending on the size & weight of the part, the 3M mounting tape should last years. Be sure to use an "ahesion promoter" on both parts before applying. Make mine work much better!