Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Window vent visors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2007, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Window vent visors

I was lucky enough to get a set of the in-channel vent visors for Christmas (not the ones that stick on the outside with adhesive).

I love the way they look, but I have one problem with them. When I roll the front windows up, the window hits the bottom of the visor, preventing it from going up. I know it's the right set, he got them from a Cruiser site.

I know the rears were installed properly, because they had instructions with them. The fronts didn't have instructions, but look & feel like they are seated properly.

Anyone else have these? If so, any suggestions?
Old 27 Dec 2007, 03:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Window vent visors

I've got the same problem, and mine DID come with installation instructions for both front and back windows. The rear two are fine, but one of the front ones has that same window-catching thing. (At the back edge of the window, right? Just in front of the 'B' pillar.)

I tried actually sanding down that corner of the visor just a little; it seems to have helped some, but it still catches about a third of the time.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybluewoody View Post
I've got the same problem, and mine DID come with installation instructions for both front and back windows. The rear two are fine, but one of the front ones has that same window-catching thing. (At the back edge of the window, right? Just in front of the 'B' pillar.)

I tried actually sanding down that corner of the visor just a little; it seems to have helped some, but it still catches about a third of the time.

Yep, that's EXACTLY where they hit. It's rather annoying, I don't want to have to move the visor every time I roll the window up. Like I said, I really like them, and like the way they look.

I'd thought about sanding a bit of a taper in, but wasn't sure if that would help. I wonder if a bit of adhesive to keep it firmly out would help?
Old 27 Dec 2007, 11:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

for a customer with an f-150 who had the same problem, i made a couple simple wedges or ramps rather from some scrap plastic laying around, secured it in the channel with some doublesided tape. no more hangup, customer loved it.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 10:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Hey Cartman: is there any way you could put up a picture of what you did? I can visualize how some sort of shim would work with the EXTERIOR-type visors, but not with these IN-channel ones! (Seems like putting something else in there would worsen the problem, and just be something else for the window to hang up on.) Thanks!
Old 29 Dec 2007, 10:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

I would post a pic, but it was a customer vehicle that came in months ago. It was just two tiny pices of clear plastic (one for each side) from a broken bugshield about 1/2 inch long and narrow enough to be hidden in the channel. used a belt sander and made them tapered to a nice point, then stuck em in the channel butted up against the visors with some clear double sided tape. now that fix worked great because of the design of the ford window channel, and it may not work as well with these style channels because the ramps would have to be very slim. tryvelcro's idea of sanding the visors may be the best way to go, as long as the sanding is confined just to the hidden leading edges of the visor and the same ramp is employed. I do plan on purchasing the in channel visors myself, and if i run across the same problems, ill post my solution.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, the sanding is what I've already done: right where the window glass hits the visor. It's not visible, just a little bit of a taper sanded in there. It helps a lot, but the glass still jams against the visor sometimes. So it's better, but not perfect; and I'm thinking of sanding it just a touch more.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I didn't run into that with my PT, but I did on my wife's mini-van, and those are REALLY long. I took them out and re-inserted them - that did the trick. Took several tries, but they've been fine since.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles