Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Upgrading my Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Upgrading my Upgrades

Hey Guys and Gals. Just a note to let you know what I am into. I have just become the proud owner of a really neat 2001 PT Cruiser and I love the car. Someone before me had really put a bunch of upgrades on the car. Now I am spending all my time trying to upgrade the upgrades. The E&G vertical grill was my first task and I just finished the upper grille this week. I had to figure a new mounting system for the upper billet grille. One of the mounting tabs was broken and two others were cracked. The mounting bolts were rusted really bad. Stainless steel hardware would have really been great and I am replacing as much as I can with stainless. Now it's on the the running boards. The #m tapes has dried out badly and the rubber treading has shrunk over two inches on both ends. The bolts that hold the aluminum steps to the outriggers are rusted badly and now I must cut the nuts from the bolts. Once again, stainless would have help a bunch. I'll keep you guys informed on my progress. Most of the upgrades are over three years old. The only thing that seems ok is the E&G sunshield. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Thanks, Bob
Billet Antenna, Rocket Taillights, Borla SS Duals, 18" Proline Alloys

I'm Lovin It

Last edited by Bobster; 22 Jan 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Upgrading my Upgrades

Sounds like you have things well in hand and are enjoying the make-over/upgrade. Good luck.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

congrats & enjoy !!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 06:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Chuck, my mechanic and I removed the running boards this afternoon. Things went smoothly. Next, I have to remove the Aluminum plate from the out riggers. Six bolts per side and very rusty. Gonna soak them in penetrating oil for a couple days. Wish me luck. I'll let you know what happens. I also just received my new chrome antenna bezel. Waiting for a new billett antenna. Gonna really look cool. My son wants me to change the 18in Proline Alloys for as set of smoothies and wide whites. Has anyone used the original steelies, painted with caps and thin rings. Would love to see them.

Thanks, Bob

I'm Lovin It
Old 27 Jan 2008, 08:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Here's an update...

Finally got my runing boards off the car last week. Took the car to a friends shop and used air tools to remove the complete units. All the bolts were rusted and stuck. When I got them home I started removing the mounting brackets from the boards themselves. Once again rust, rust and more rust. I soaked the bolts in penetrating oil for two days. Still no luck. The heads of the bolt just spun around in the aluminum channel. Finally had to drill all twelve bolts out. over two hours spent. Now I am trying to remove the 3M mouldng tape that held the black rubber treads on. Dont come loose easy at all Anybody got any ideas on what to cover them back with.

You guys remember when installing some of these kits that stainless steel is a great thing.

Later, Bob

I'm Lovin It
Old 27 Jan 2008, 11:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Use heat to loosen the tape......industrial dryer, or gentle torching.
Old 10 Feb 2008, 02:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

3M has an adhesive remover that comes in spray cans. If they are NOT on any painted surface, B12 Chemtool Carb Cleaner does a good job of lifting (or desolving) about anything. One of those yellow spreaders for body filler makes a good scraper without scratching anything. Depending on what is the width of the strips you're removing , consider looking a some plain black body side moulding of a similiar width. Since it's stick-on too, you may have to replace it again but it's economical.
Old 10 Feb 2008, 03:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the infomation. I finally got the stuff off. I used a heat gun to soften the rubber and then scraped it off using a plastic scraper. Then I used GooGone to soften and remove the sticky stuff. They are now clean and waiting for the replacment covering. Not sure what I will use. Would love any ideas. Hate to go back original. I son wants me to use real stainless steel but due to the compound curves, not sure we can do that. Maybe some kind of self stick material. Still trying to get the lower grille repaired. Bought one of the sub woofer systems on Ebay the other night. Also installed my new antenna and bezel yesterday. I bought a 12 in billet antenna and boy does it look good. Very slow delivery and the Ebayer I bought it from has threatened me with negative feedback if I tell the truth. This guys kinda sucks. I'll make sure everyone knows later. Also got my new hub covers for my wheels on ordered on Thursday. Thats another story. Let me know what you guys think about the running board covers.

Bobster,

I'm Lovin It
Old 10 Feb 2008, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Upgrading my Upgrades

Bobster,
Don't let the guy get away with it!
At least give him an overall "neutral" (i.e. "good item; but slow to ship")
The rest of us ebayers deserve the truth!
(P.S. be sure to let us know his user name - that it "just")
Old 10 Feb 2008, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
Has anyone used the original steelies, painted with caps and thin rings. Would love to see them.
Thanks, Bob
Bob,

Most owners who are going for the old school look use the full moon hubcaps or trim-rings with babymoons. Here's couple of examples.