Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 GT Turbo Rear LEDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Feb 2008, 11:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 GT Turbo Rear LEDs

About a year ago someone told me about an LED tail light kit for my 06 GT. Does anyone have any suggestions on a part number and a vendor for this?
Old 01 Mar 2008, 03:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to outfit Send a message via Skype™ to outfit
Lightbulb Re: 06 GT Turbo Rear LEDs

Try this site out...Street Glow Underglow Light | Neon Car Lights | Car LED Lights
Just nav your way through and you will find the LED bulbs and taillight kits...3157 LED Car Accessory Bulbs

These bulbs are great replacement for your existing brake and tail lights. No extra upgrades are needed, just install them, and you’ll see a unique look you never thought possible from your vehicle....Hope that helps
1 -Hyper White 921 Superstar Bulbs from Autolumination
1 -Hyper White T10 Wedge 194 (Lic Pllate) Super White LED from Autolumination

Pioneer Head unit W/ HD & Satellite radio

2 - 7inch DVD/Headrests Monitors... dvd players built in the headrests
HID Lights 8000k 9006 for lows from xhidoutlet....
HID Slim 55w 6000K for high's from HIDGEEK.

Old 01 Mar 2008, 10:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 06 GT Turbo Rear LEDs

Maggie at Race and Street has the LED Tail lights
http://www.raceandstreet.com
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 01 Mar 2008, 02:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross
Default Re: 06 GT Turbo Rear LEDs

Are you looking for these?

I just installed them on my 07 PT Cruiser

I purchased them from here
2001-UP Chrysler PT Cruiser LED Tail Lights: U.S. SPEED
Old 02 Mar 2008, 01:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks,
I placed an on-line order today for a set of IPCW LED tail light kits. Looks like a 15 minute job to change out.
Old 02 Mar 2008, 02:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Its an easy change but your going to have to play with the brackets to get it too be secure in the housing.
Old 03 Mar 2008, 08:20 am
Young Cruiser

I agree on the mounting clip issue. Be careful not to bend them excessively. The spring clips I've dealt with do have a finite life.
I think buying the entire assembly is a better option than just replacing the bulbs. We spent three days comparing LED 3157 "drop in replacement" bulbs and the stock 3157's. Finished the experiment by putting the stock 3157's back in.
It seemed to me that if the housing/reflector is designed for regular bulbs, it's very difficult to get an LED "drop in" to perform well in it.
Old 03 Mar 2008, 03:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to outfit Send a message via Skype™ to outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexium View Post
I agree on the mounting clip issue. Be careful not to bend them excessively. The spring clips I've dealt with do have a finite life.
I think buying the entire assembly is a better option than just replacing the bulbs. We spent three days comparing LED 3157 "drop in replacement" bulbs and the stock 3157's. Finished the experiment by putting the stock 3157's back in.
It seemed to me that if the housing/reflector is designed for regular bulbs, it's very difficult to get an LED "drop in" to perform well in it.
I agree...I did the same thing and found the same results. Even with clean lenses still didnt make a dif... Spend the bucks and get the entire thing..for anyone thinking about just getting the bulbs.....
1 -Hyper White 921 Superstar Bulbs from Autolumination
1 -Hyper White T10 Wedge 194 (Lic Pllate) Super White LED from Autolumination

Pioneer Head unit W/ HD & Satellite radio

2 - 7inch DVD/Headrests Monitors... dvd players built in the headrests
HID Lights 8000k 9006 for lows from xhidoutlet....
HID Slim 55w 6000K for high's from HIDGEEK.

Old 03 Mar 2008, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I'll have to sort of disagree because I think it all depends on which lights your talking about. I have the Caddy (Rocket) lights and replaced the regular bulbs with super white LED bulbs and it made a heck of a difference to the better. I bought the Super White for the amber lenses and the SR (Super Red) for the running/stop lenses. In a dark garage I put the LED's in on one side and regular bulbs on the other and there was a big difference when they (LED) were lit up. Click on "Auto Indulgence" to see the ones I used. You can also get them at Auto Zone.

Auto Indulgence

Old 03 Mar 2008, 05:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Crewzin - curious if the LEDs you used are the same as the ones in the link's picture. Also, do your lens assemblie have a smooth or "fresnelled" interior surface? I found not many sellers of the drop-in 3157's have any idea of the actual light output, or whether or not they will allow a stock tail/parking light assembly to meet FMVSS standards. Most dedicated LED lighting units have a housing designed specifically for LEDs and will not allow "backards compatiblity" with any other lamps.
The other snag was finding a suitable 5 pin flasher for the PT, to eliminate the burned out bulb rapid flash. You could modify the existing one, but if you're uncomfortable around SMD PC boards, that's pretty much out. The only other option is the load resistor fix.
I am glad to see your combination works, but can't believe that an end firing drop in with maybe 13 LEDs provides the same amount of visibility as an ordinary 3157. The ones we used were of the "tower" design, upwards of 27 LEDs, end and side firing, I presume in an attempt to used the reflector more effectively.