PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Painting gray bumper, results.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2008, 02:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Painting gray bumper, results.

Hi,

I'm wanting to paint the gray bumpers on my car body color, and I was wondering what the best route would be. I was wanting it to be done in base coat clear coat, my mechanic suggested SEM. I was wondering what would be the best. I really like the metallic flake in the paint on my car, and I don't think SEM would have that.

What have you guys used? Was the paint metallic?

Thanks,
Ben
Old 06 Mar 2008, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Painting gray bumper, results.

Ben,

You didn't say that you wanted to "have" the bumper painted so I guess you want to do it yourself. My suggestion is to have it done professionally. The bumper needs to be sanded. A good adhesion promoter has to be used and most importantly, the right amount of flex agent has to be added to whatever paint is used so the paint can move and not crack/spiderweb. Any "good" paint shop should be able to do the job. Get an estimate, both my front and rear bumpers were done for $300.
Old 06 Mar 2008, 09:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

hey i did mine black, i think they look really sharp, did it on my own and didnt cost me more than 12$ and 2 hours

check it out.... msg me for details

Old 06 Mar 2008, 04:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey thanks for the quick replies. I'm wanting the painting to be done by my mechanic, he does autobody as well. I suck at painting, even with a spray bomb. I get runs no matter what and I can't get it on even, it just looks like crap and then I wish I hadn't touched whatever I started! Crewzin, do you know if they would have used base coat clear? Or is it a specialized plastic paint?

PTcutie, that black looks good! I want body color, but now I really have to think about it, what you did looks awesome! I love the satin finish!

Thanks all,
Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 06 Mar 2008, 04:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Ben,

You didn't say that you wanted to "have" the bumper painted so I guess you want to do it yourself. My suggestion is to have it done professionally. The bumper needs to be sanded. A good adhesion promoter has to be used and most importantly, the right amount of flex agent has to be added to whatever paint is used so the paint can move and not crack/spiderweb. Any "good" paint shop should be able to do the job. Get an estimate, both my front and rear bumpers were done for $300.
Thatz the joy of living in the south... paint work is cheaper.... I had my bumpers estimated at $600 for both. around that same price everywhere i went. So Ill keep em original.

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s
Old 06 Mar 2008, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Painting gray bumper, results.

Nice job Cutie!
Agree - looks great on your Cruiser!
I am prone to overdoing it and "runs" too. So that's why, when I repaired the license plate holes on my black vert (black is said to be the most difficult), I went lighter, multiple coats, and then buffed out the paint - before I applied the clearcoat. And I'm a rank amateur!
Old 06 Mar 2008, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverklutz View Post
Crewzin, do you know if they would have used base coat clear? Or is it a specialized plastic paint?
Ben
Ben,

Any kind of paint can be used including base coat clear coat as long as the proper prepping procedures are done and the flex agent is used with the base coat and clear coat.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 08:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Last I checked, SEM doesn't have any esoteric paints. Not even clear/base. Most of thier paints are just for colormatching vinyl/rubber/plastic and they also have several adhesion promotors and things like that.
Old 08 Mar 2008, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Several years ago, I purchased a set of chrome clip on bumpers for my 2002 PT but in the good ol Ohio winter months I take them off and store them. This fall, I decided to try and paint the stock bumpers with a $5 can of Krylon "Plastic" paint. Unfortunately, it only comes in four colors, bright blue, white, black and yellow. The black has a bit of a gloss to it and actually looks 100% better than they gray. Get a roll of masking tape and some old news papers and give it a try. Make sweeping motions and keep the can about ten inches away when you spray. Before you know it they'll be calling you Michael Angelo.
Home Depot or Lowes has it in stock.
Old 09 Mar 2008, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Nice job Cutie!
Agree - looks great on your Cruiser!
I am prone to overdoing it and "runs" too. So that's why, when I repaired the license plate holes on my black vert (black is said to be the most difficult), I went lighter, multiple coats, and then buffed out the paint - before I applied the clearcoat. And I'm a rank amateur!
i found that it ran when i moved to slow.. the trick is fast even strokes, even if it takes 20 times to cover the gray, just move fast