PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Roof Rack and/or Roof Top Cargo Bag/No Roof Rack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2008, 07:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Roof Rack and/or Roof Top Cargo Bag/No Roof Rack?

We are planning a vacation in June, but our new 2006 PT Cruiser doesn't have a roof rack and we need the extra storage. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a roof top cargo bag that works with a PT Cruiser with no roof rack?

Also, we would like to get a roof rack later in the summer and was wondering what everyone gets? Do you get the kind that has to screw in (and do you have to worry about leakage when it rains/snows), or is there such a thing as a removable roof rack?

Thanks!
Old 23 Apr 2008, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Roof Rack and/or Roof Top Cargo Bag/No Roof Rack?

Wow! More storage???
My first thought is..... rent an SUV!
But, ever thought about a small trailor? I'll bet that's better on gas mileage!
Old 23 Apr 2008, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Roof Rack and/or Roof Top Cargo Bag/No Roof Rack?

Here is a link to one site with both aftermarket and OEM roof racks.
Westin Chrysler Pt Cruiser Cargo Rack Outback Series Heavy Duty Roof Rack System Additional Bar Must be Used w/2 Bar Kit

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 24 Apr 2008, 05:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The mileage on the PT isn't good anyway, why would you want to add more surface area to get even LESS MPG? Best bet would be a trailer. That may be the reason you see very few PT's with roof racks.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Apr 2008, 06:47 am
Regular Cruiser

We go on vacation once a year, so it's only needed for a total of 8 hours. We need the extra storage space because we are spending a week in a lakeside cabin where we bring all our own supplies, and the kids would probably object to having the back seat folded down on them so we could fit more stuff in the back, lol. So that leaves the space behind the back seat to fit everything: two coolers, large duffle for clothes for 4, couple boxes with food and toys, lake toys, etc.

I would imagine then it would be best to buy a roof cargo bag that either hooks to the door frame or has straps that go through the doors, rather than bothering with a roof rack? Has anyone ever used one before that can recommend a decent one?
Old 01 Jan 2010, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm looking for a good roof rack as well. Apparently the Mopar rack only holds 30 lbs? Just the cargo shell nearly weighs that. Has anyone used the one from Automotive Concepts liked above? Does it secure without drilling? Is it lockable?
Old 01 Jan 2010, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My vote would be to put on a trailer hitch, then a rack on the trailer hitch. Easier to get at, less wind resistance.
The racks I've seen flip up, and come off hitch easily.
Something like this:
Cabela's -- Bumper Buddy Cargo Carrier

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Jan 2010, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try.
Old 02 Jan 2010, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

SInce you say you would rarely use a trailer, I would put a hitch on the car and then get a small U-haul or something like that when you needed the trailer.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 05:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

i have a Mopar factory locking luggage rack used 2x's for 1/2 price at only $135 (new they're $250 + 20 shipping, $270 total) easy to ship will send pics if you like
jbenzr@aol.com Jerry Bensinger 330 759 5224
also have Sears Cargo Carrier approx. 1/3 cost of Mopar factory ones, bolts on with u bolts--if you wanted it too you'd have to pick up as too big to ship. I'm in Youngstown, Ohio 2 miles off RT. 80 (60 miles from Cleveland)