PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tape marks reappear on back bumper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2008, 10:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Tape marks reappear on back bumper

I haven't been around for a while, so hello to all my old friends. I had my bumpers fixed on my 2003 (White tape marks). The front was replaced, rear was painted because they changed the factory fix. Tape marks are back. This stinks.

Gonz
Old 30 Apr 2008, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Tape marks reappear on back bumper

Tape marks, from what??

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 30 Apr 2008, 11:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On the first edition PT's the bumpers were unpainted. To protect the bumpers the factory put plastic sheets over the bumper using tape. The tape left a residue that showed up a few months later. At one time it was covered under warranty, not sure if it is still covered.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Apr 2008, 01:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Yeah - my bumpers are un-painted. No 'tape marks' of any flavor are on my bumpers...front or back!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 30 Apr 2008, 11:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

did the tape marks reappear on both or just the replaced one? ive seen repalcement bumpers have this problem too. if the painted bumper had the marks reappear, then the prep wasnt done thuroughly(sp?) enough. i havent seen one bumper that has been painted properly reappear.
Old 01 May 2008, 01:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
Tape marks, from what??
From the Net:

The tape "sucked" some sort of UV protection from the bumper or it's a kind of chemical reaction between the "glue" from the tape and heat from oven when they "bake" the fascia paint. Or a mix of both. Even the engineers @ Daimler-Chrysler don't really know for sure.

So go figure what happen after lots of sunny days.

Luckyly, mine is Touring Edition with painted bumpers.

Last edited by Duster; 01 May 2008 at 01:30 am.
Old 01 May 2008, 04:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Yeah the sun fades everything.... from headlamps to these bumpers... If ur pt is garaged, u shouldnt have a prob with tape marks....

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s
Old 01 May 2008, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

my wifes pt had the tape marks, had them replaced but them we traded it in about 4 months later
Old 09 May 2008, 03:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Thumbs down Re: Tape marks reappear on back bumper

Tape marks reappeared on the rear bumper (that was the one that was replaced

Gonz
Old 09 May 2008, 10:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

ahhh! I was wondering what that was on the PT we will most likely be getting.. looks horrible but now at least I know what it is..

Jeremy & Echo - owners of Bessy - steel blue '02 limited PT - Airaid intake - billet grille - Mr. Mike's welts - Streamline Designs Custom Edition - Streamline Design Vinyl Visor cover
parents of Riley & Harrison and a crazy boxer named Minnie