PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HID headlights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2008, 12:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to AlexJB
Default HID headlights

I just installed a HID kit bought for less than 50bucks from flea bay... It's brilliant!

I had one on my Lexus that cost me 250bucks (back home in the UK) and that was worth the money, this kit is just as good and definately worth the cash.

Get one you will not be dissapointed.
Don't mess about with those halgozeon crappy blue bulbs that just reduce your overall visibility, buy a HID kit with all in one starter and ballast units and you'll be able to see much further.

The only point to note with the kit I bought was when plugged straight into the PT wiring harness the units did not work, seems the polarity was wrong on the plugs.
I just removed the little tab that stops you plugging them in the wrong way round from the end of the HID kit and plugged it in the wrong way round and it works perfect.
The bolb was plug and play and I used the sticky foam pads that come with it to attach the ballast boxes to the top of the plastic inner fender (between the plastic and steel fender, not inside the wheel well).
It only took jacking each side of the car up, didn't even take the wheels off.
Old 06 May 2008, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HID headlights

Good job and thanks for the installation info.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 May 2008, 02:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

I just checked and I lied, it cost me 60bucks + 10 shipping...
still as cheap as some of those blue bulbs that don't do anything!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...040958922&rd=1
Old 06 May 2008, 02:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

So it gets its power straight thru the factory plugs? I got my kit here from 3bspecialties.com for $130 Shipped overnight(their basic shipping).. Their kits have the relay harness which gets power directly from the battery instead of the factory wire harness... I have a new HID relay harness that Ive never used if you would be interested in it. I had an older HID kit on my pt till 1 bulb blew out, thats when I got this kit and the old relay harness wires from my old kit worked with my new one so I didnt have to go thru the work of switching out all the wiring cause thats a pain to do on this car. The Harness is universal with all ballasts.
I mounted my ballasts to the rear side(under the access door behind the headlight) of the splash shield...

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s

Last edited by StoneWhitePT2; 06 May 2008 at 02:28 pm.
Old 06 May 2008, 03:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

I put the ballasts in the same place as you, real easy.

Yest the kit plugs straight into the wiring harness of the car, instead of plugging it into the standar bulb you just plug it into the kit and that's it.

I'm told you are not supposed to, but I did turn on the lights with only one side fitted, the difference is amazing.
I tried to take a photo of it but it didn't work.
Makes the original side look like you have a kids night light in there!
Old 06 May 2008, 09:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah the difference is quite amazing and most cruiser owners on this board just dont know how much of a difference it makes on the street(you can see everything) and appearance wise...

Old 07 May 2008, 07:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I think i might have to do this, if it is as good as you say it is. The way i dropped my car put a slight nosed down tilt, I love the look, but obviously the headlights suffered. I currently have silverstar bulbs and they help, bu these sound like they could be exactly what I need.
Old 07 May 2008, 07:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
I think i might have to do this, if it is as good as you say it is. The way i dropped my car put a slight nosed down tilt, I love the look, but obviously the headlights suffered. I currently have silverstar bulbs and they help, bu these sound like they could be exactly what I need.
Yeah These guys here at 3bspecialties.com are good. Quality equipment.... I got turned on at a Scion forum when they company started a topic from last year tryin to sell their kits. Nothing but good Ratings from all the members that purchased and its at 121 pages now...the topic is still going strong...ScionLife View topic - < < < HID Plug and Play Kits $130 SHIPPED OVERNIGHT

They are definitly bright on the street and colorful depending on the K rating you get. My kit is a 12K from them pictured... Try aiming ur lamps if ur car is lowered....

Old 07 May 2008, 07:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

My right headlight is dimmer than my left one...Does that mean I turned it on before I installed the other one?? (I don't remember, wouldn't doubt it though)

I want the same brightness on both sides with the SilverStars, but I don't know what to do...Should I buy another bulb??

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 07 May 2008, 07:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Na That doesnt make a diff if u had one on longer than the other... Yeah Id try to buy another one. Did u make sure ur lamps are level... could be just the way ur lookin at it...