Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rocket wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2008, 09:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Rocket wiring

I had to remove one of my rocket lights to have the unit repainted. When I took it out I found a couple diodes wired in series with the brake lights. Does anyone know why The wiring instruction on the Cal Crusier site says nothing about diodes at all. Also, my turn signals flash really fast. I understand that the original lights bulbs are to stay in the fender but mine have been cut out and are gone.

ANy help will be appreciated,

thanks, Bob
Billet Antenna, Rocket Taillights, Borla SS Duals, 18" Proline Alloys

I'm Lovin It
Old 14 May 2008, 01:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Rocket wiring

the lights flash too fast because you need a resistor wired inline so that the load is equivalent to a standard bulb.
Old 14 May 2008, 05:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I just kept the original bulbs in the sockets for the added resistance that was needed. I still had to do that even when I changed out the bulbs that came with the Rockets because I wanted a brighter light. I put halogen in the turn signal lights and super bright LEDs in the stop/running lights.

Old 14 May 2008, 08:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Are both the amber and red lights a dual element bulb? There are diodes in series with two of the wires and then tied together. Not sure why. Gonna try to get it fixed on Thursday. Wish I had a wiring diagram for the lights. THe brighter lights sound good to me.

thanks for the input

bob

I'm Lovin It
Old 14 May 2008, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What came with the lights were dual element bulbs even though the turn signal light only needed a single element because all it did was flash.
Old 14 May 2008, 09:13 pm
Young Cruiser

what bulbs are used on the rockets? the original bulbs are 3157 whichare 2/8 watt bulbs.

I'm Lovin It
Old 14 May 2008, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
what bulbs are used on the rockets? the original bulbs are 3157 whichare 2/8 watt bulbs.
Sorry, I just thru the old bulbs out when I got the new replacements and don't remember what they were but your probably right with the 3157.
Old 15 May 2008, 06:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Well I spent most of the day trying to get things straightened out on the rockets. We think that the rockets were installed in 01 or 02. BOY were they messed up. They were wired as if they were single element bulbs. Neither of the sockets were grounded. The turn signals were wired with the supply wire hooked to the high wattage lead and ground hooked to the low wattage lead. So I guess the signals lights have never been brighter that 5 or 6 watts. I thing they are supposed to be about 25 watts. Probably could not see them in the day time much at all. Things get worst. The tail and brakes supply leads each had a diode in series and then shorted together and hooked to the high watttage element of the brade light socket. Then the low wattage lead was hooked to ground. the result was very dim brake light when the running lights were off. At night with the Headlights on there were very dim running lights and NO Brake Lights at All. No wonder that little s10 pickup truck almost run over me last Friday afternoon as I sit trying to turn left off the main highway. I thought it was the hamburger he was eating while driving. I guess I owe him a apology. Things look good now. Thanks for the info guys. Next, it's time install my factory sub woofer.

Bob

ps.... Can I run red turn signal lenses instead of yellow in KY?

I'm Lovin It
Old 15 May 2008, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
... Can I run red turn signal lenses instead of yellow in KY?
That should be OK as there are a lot of OEM vehicles that run red turn signals in the rear. Take a look around.

Sounds like someone didn't have the instructions for wiring up the Rockets and tried doing it themselves. Glad you got it figured out.