Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Grill Over-lay '06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2008, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Grill Over-lay '06

I bought a grille over-lay for my 2006 on ebay. I want the chrome egg crate look. I took my grille off and tried to figure out how to get this thing over it and gave up before I broke it or scratched the original. It really didn't want to "snap on". How do I work this? Can you interchange older top grilles with the '06? I have a feeling this over-lay is for '05 and older. any ideas?
Old 21 May 2008, 03:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Grill Over-lay '06

An easy way to tell if the grille is for the older style PT's is to look at the bottom corners. The 05 and below have squared corners and the 06 and up have rounded corners. I'm not quite sure how it mounts so I can't help out there. Do you have a link to the part?
Old 22 May 2008, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

PTMODROD, thanks for the info. The box it came in is generic but it looks like those sold as Autotechnica. I am 90% sure it is for the older PTs but I really like the looks of it. My main question is can I just swop out grilles? The '06 is just held in with 4 screws so there's really nothing to taking it off. I just don't know if I can install an older one without any problem.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Does the new grille have the same mounting at the top as your 06 grille? It sounds like the same as mine in how it mounts. If it has the same mounts, you may just be able to trim tyhe bottom corners to fit the new style grille. Could you post a picture? I will see if i can find the Autotechnica grille i the mean time to get a look at it. Glad I can be of assistance.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a picture of the grill on the box (upper only of coarse) a nd a couple of pictures of my factory grill. I still think I'll need to replace the whole grille to make it work. What do you think?

Old 22 May 2008, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That definitely is for a pre 2006. The 06 and up do not have the lower chrome that is pictured on the box. Does the overlay have the tabs on the top to mount it?

On the 06's the grille has two "hooks", one on either side that fits into slots that hold the lower part of the upper grille.

I guess it could be made to fit, not sure how it would look tho. Good Luck!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 May 2008, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I guess I have a grille overlay for sale.
Thanks guys
Old 22 May 2008, 07:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie View Post
I guess I have a grille overlay for sale.
Thanks guys
Sorry about the rotten luck on that. Ill see if I can find any of the PT owners I know who might be interested in buying it. How much are you looking for? I like your chrome bumper by the way, looks really good.
Old 23 May 2008, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the help.
The bumpers are modified early Volkswagen. I have a set on the rear also. I'm going for the retro look.
I'm going to a cruise -in at a local eatery tonight and will try to sell the grille there for $75. If anyone wants it let me know. I'm not too worried about it. I think I came up with a way to glitz up the existing grill without spending a lot of money. I'll post the results if my idea works out.
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everybody and fly that flag!
Old 23 May 2008, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie View Post
Thanks for all the help.
The bumpers are modified early Volkswagen. I have a set on the rear also. I'm going for the retro look.
I'm going to a cruise -in at a local eatery tonight and will try to sell the grille there for $75. If anyone wants it let me know. I'm not too worried about it. I think I came up with a way to glitz up the existing grill without spending a lot of money. I'll post the results if my idea works out.
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everybody and fly that flag!
I have a buyer for you if that doesn't work out. His username is ucantcme.