Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacement tail lights rattle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2008, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacement tail lights rattle?

Hi all - proud owner of a 2005 Limited Turbo. Ordered the cool Race & Street smoked LED rear turn signals, which are great, but they seem to not fit as snugly as OEM. Almost as if they should have a rubber gasket to make them stay tight to the body? Anyone else do this mod and have a suggestion?

Thanks - SteveP
Old 22 Jun 2008, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacement tail lights rattle?

Steve,

Not to you but to anyone reading this, I've had 5 different taillights (couldn't find just the right ones) and NONE of them fit like the OEM lights that came from the factory. I have no answer for your question as to WHY. I've had people say, their light fit perfect, but a picture reveals the gap all the way round the edge.

On three of the lights, I took a small chrome edge trim and put it all around the outside of the lights. I have enough chrome to pull this mod off but if your not into chrome, about the only thing to do is work with the two metal clips inside the light. Bend them (but be careful) towards the edge so there's very little room between the clip and the edge of the light but enough room to slide the lights into place and it will give it a better, tighter fit. You'll still have the small gap all the way round the lights but they'll fit tighter and won't move around so much.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Jun 2008 at 11:16 am.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 12:00 pm
Young Cruiser

i have heard of people with same problem taking black rubber hosing and using that to make gasket similer to what crewzin did.use either vacuum hose or like tubing on your wiper fluidhoses.can get at any auto store.split the hose and run around edge of lights.

ron
loepard skin seat cover and door inserts,shade shift leopard flame graphics,17" panther wheels,custom rear deck, 3Dtaillights,and new sound system coming soon (for the second time),shade shift magenta-gold door pillars,flowlighting inferno underbody,and whatever comes along when wallet gets fat, and lastly rear bucket seats
Old 02 Aug 2009, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Some split rubber hose did the trick. But the aftermarket lights really need some rubber edge trim to be "right". Thanks for the help - Steve
Old 02 Aug 2009, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your welcome Steve. You know it's been a year and 2 months since you asked that question. Glad you found an answer.