Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Handles for Rear Lift Hatch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2003, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Handles for Rear Lift Hatch

I am handicapped and have to hold onto the PT in order to walk around it. For example, the door handles provide good holding places for me.

But when I get to the large rear hatch, there just isn't any good place to hold onto. So... I was thinking of mounting one large handle in the middle of the hatch under the rear window or two smaller handles, one near each vertical edge of the hatch.

I would like to do this without damaging (too much) the structure or the looks of my pretty silver PT.

Any suggestions for type and source of handles, possible problems, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Dundevil
Old 03 Aug 2003, 01:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm handicapped also and have a hard time opening and closing the hatch. Are you looking for a better way to open the hatch or just a hand hold ? A friend of mine ( Pineapple ) has come up with a way to open the hatch from the side. If you're looking for just a hand hold I don't think there is a strong enough spot to mount a handle on the hatch

Here are some pics

http://community.webshots.com/album/81289206sQoviD
Old 03 Aug 2003, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Grouch

I'm handicapped also and have a hard time opening and closing the hatch. Are you looking for a better way to open the hatch or just a hand hold ? A friend of mine ( Pineapple ) has come up with a way to open the hatch from the side. If you're looking for just a hand hold I don't think there is a strong enough spot to mount a handle on the hatch

Here are some pics

http://community.webshots.com/album/81289206sQoviD

Grouch

Neat pictures. But a side opening door would seem to be even more inconvenient. That is, I eventually want to put in an interior lift for a mobility scooter and the side opening looks like a problem.

But you gave me an idea that might even be of help to you in opening the lift hatch. This is....

install a handle vertically on the edge of the hatch, say about 1" inboard. Maybe one on each side. There should be more metal on the edge for support. In addition to being the handhold It would also let you lift/close the hatch from the side once you released the catch.

Any comment from those much more knowledgable than this neophyte would really be greatly appreciated.

Dundevil
Old 03 Aug 2003, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dundevil,

IF you don't mind loosing the rear hatch wiper, this is what I installed on my PT. It goes right thru the hole where the wiper was so the wiper motor has to come out. Simple job.

You can buy it at a couple different places but I got mine at : www.milehighpts.com

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2003, 08:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

I thought about the handle in place of the wiper but I would be afraid to open and close the hatch with the Handle. I would be afaid of breaking the glass.
Old 04 Aug 2003, 06:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Dundevil,

IF you don't mind loosing the rear hatch wiper, this is what I installed on my PT. It goes right thru the hole where the wiper was so the wiper motor has to come out. Simple job.

You can buy it at a couple different places but I got mine at : www.milehighpts.com
Crewzin

Thanks for the suggestion. I kind of agree with Greg (post after yours) that I would be afraid of damaging the rear window if I put any weight on the handle.

There must be someplace on the lift hatch on which I could mount a handle. Any suggestions and past experience would be much appreciated.

Dundevil
Old 05 Aug 2003, 04:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would pull the interior trim off of the hatch to see if it is reinforced anywhere on the inside and if so use that as a point to drill through. I cannot think of any other way than that or as suggested above. YOu will have to hurt the hatch a little if you don't think the wiper/handle idea will work for you. I would check and see how the wiper motor is mounted to see if it has a hard attachment to the window. You may be able to use the one shown above.

Good luck
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come