Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
LED turn signal blubs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2008, 05:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Default LED turn signal blubs?

I want to replace the turn signal blubs in the front and rear with some good quality LEDs. I have a set of 2006 tail lights on my 2002 so the turn signal part is clear. All input is welcome, what works and what to stay away from.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 23 Aug 2008, 08:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: LED turn signal blubs?

When I changed taillights to the Rocket type, I put LED's in the RED brake lights and halogen in the turn signals. I think you'd be better off with the Halogen because they look almost the same as the regular bulbs and the light from the bulb goes everywhere. The light from LED's goes in only one direction. For my Rocket lights the LED's work fine because the bulbs are set back and the light, even though it goes in one direction, lights up the whole rocket.

What I'm saying is that you can only see the LED's light from looking right at it, there's very little light from an led that goes off to the side of the diode. Hope that makes sense.

The halogen bulbs put out about twice the light as the ordinary bulbs.

Here's what the LED bulb looks like:

Here's where I buy my LED's bulbs but you can pick them up at Auto Zone and other auto stores:

Auto Indulgence

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Do you have halogen bulbs in front and back? What brand of light?
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 23 Aug 2008, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The Halogen bulbs are just in the back because the kind of lights (Rocket) I have. The fronts just have the normal Amber bulbs. I had the silver coated bulbs up front that turned Amber when they lit up. They looked good but didn't put out as much light when they came on, and I wanted to be seen when I was turning so I went back to the normal Amber bulbs. I don't know what brand the halogen bulbs are as I picked them up at a vendor at a high auto show in Daytona called the Turkey Rod Run. Hundreds of vendors selling everything you could imagine to do with autos.

Here's a picture when I had the 06 lights on my 01. I used the Silver Coated Amber bulbs because I didn't like the Amber bulb in the clear taillight.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Aug 2008 at 09:57 am.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 10:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I got a set of the LED bulbs you can get really cheap. I had them on my car. I also have the '06 tail lights. My son drives the car now and he wanted the stock yellow bulbs put back in the lights (have no idea why). You will need load equalizers with these bulbs and I have them too. Let me know if you're intereste.
Frank
Old 24 Aug 2008, 10:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: LED turn signal blubs?

Frank

Do you have a photo of the LED blubs, and what would you take for them and the load equalizers
Old 24 Aug 2008, 12:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

You can buy 2 LED lights from AutoZone, and a load equalizer for $15 out the door. The LED lights come in a pack of 2, and the load eqaulizers should be right next to the lights themselves.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 24 Aug 2008, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoach View Post
Frank

Do you have a photo of the LED blubs, and what would you take for them and the load equalizers
They are identical to the ones posted above. Totally clear but blink red. I got mine from AutoZone but then didn't sell or tell me I needed load equalizers. Without the equalizers, the bulbs blink about 90 mph. Will ship you all the parts for $10.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 03:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Her is what I am looking to use for the turn signal blubs.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 07:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Mine are like these