Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headlight protection film .......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2008, 10:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headlight protection film .......

Has anybody tried this out on the headlights or fogs? I just ordered some in yellow for the pt and was wonderin' if anybody has tried it.

Old 11 Sep 2008, 10:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt
Default Re: Headlight protection film .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbpt View Post
Has anybody tried this out on the headlights or fogs? I just ordered some in yellow for the pt and was wonderin' if anybody has tried it.

Yes, I tried this film. I had the blue kind. They worked great...but somewhat dimmed the lighting. However, if you ever decide to take those suckers off, they leave horrible adhesive all over the lights!!! Took me two days to get it off!!!! I had to spray some adhesive remover on 'em and remove it with a razor blade....not fun...

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 11 Sep 2008, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I put clear on the wife's car because I found out those suckers were over $300 each. I don't think the PT is anywhere near that and you can pick them up on eBay pretty easily.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 11:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would try this stuff with the stock bulbs first and then go to silverstars or something if I need to brighten things up a bit.

Why did you take them off Teeky? Did they rat out on ya? Scratch up/swirl up...... delam .... bubble-up.........what?
Old 12 Sep 2008, 12:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I thought I would try this stuff with the stock bulbs first and then go to silverstars or something if I need to brighten things up a bit.

Why did you take them off Teeky? Did they rat out on ya? Scratch up/swirl up...... delam .... bubble-up.........what?

Naw, none of that...I bought some ultra violet luminics halogen bulbs and when I put em in they weren't bright at all!!! It was so bad that when people passed me at night...my eyes had to adjust to the darkness (cuz my bulbs were so dim). I thot' everybody had their high beams on...not true!!!

So, I took the film off, thinking that was the problem...they were a little brighter, but not much...so I took the luminics out and replaced them with ultra night vison silverstars...much better...

Old 12 Sep 2008, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, You had me worried for a min. there! Glad I didn't order the smoke.
How about putting the film on. I wonder if ya can spray the lens with soapy water and squeegee it out after placement. ( Like for vinyl )
Old 12 Sep 2008, 07:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Oh, You had me worried for a min. there! Glad I didn't order the smoke.
How about putting the film on. I wonder if ya can spray the lens with soapy water and squeegee it out after placement. ( Like for vinyl )
Exactly. But the water doesn't need to be soapy...the lens should just be wet...

Old 12 Sep 2008, 11:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Headlight protection film .......

I installed the 3M on soonercruiser's heads & fogs myself (about $60 kit). The main reason I wanted it was for protection from flying objects. The stuff was developed originally for the protective glasses our troops were in the Middle East. (protects against shrapnel - rated for around 120mph impact)

On the Black Sheep (I had gotten very tired of repairing paint chips on the PTeazer front end of soonercruiser) I went with protective film on the whole front end, headlights & fogs. ($700)

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!