Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help deciding!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2008, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation help deciding!!!!!!!!

hi guys i was wondering if anyone has a white cruiser?/ I want to customize mine by adding flames to the front fenders and or hood.. I need help deciding on a good color. so its not to flashy or anything/?? any suggestions guys?
Old 17 Oct 2008, 08:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: help deciding!!!!!!!!

Hey melraluk if you don't want it to stand out are you sure flames are what you are wanting??? not being a smartty here but I am wanting to flame my black PT to make it jump out and say YO DUDE IM HERE
Old 17 Oct 2008, 08:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by metraluk View Post
hi guys i was wondering if anyone has a white cruiser?/ I want to customize mine by adding flames to the front fenders and or hood.. I need help deciding on a good color. so its not to flashy or anything/?? any suggestions guys?
Check out ghost flames. They are nice and pretty subtle.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 17 Oct 2008, 11:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: help deciding!!!!!!!!

yes i am sure that i want flames. it will make the car look cool., but i dont want them to be tooo bright meaning like red bright yellow on a white car,, how do ghost flames work again????
and does anyone have pics of a white cruiser with flames??
Old 18 Oct 2008, 06:00 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Exclamation Re: help deciding!!!!!!!!

Hey metraluk,

OK, so we have established that you do want Flames, but would like to stay on the conservative side of things when we talk colors.

The only advice I might offer, and keep in mind this is just my thoughts when I used to play with custom paint work, and design back in the day. Most of the guys that I hung out with messed around with an air brush, did custom graphics , and were usually pretty artistic!

With this said, their are two kinds of customers when it comes to custom paint.

1. The first is the customer that is very set on one design, at which point the Body Shop will do it exactly the way the customer wants no matter if you might want Watermelon style flames, to you name it, which is fine, as ultimately its up to the customer!

2. On the other side of the spectrum, you have a customer that has a basic idea of a layout, but asks the painter, and air brush artist for their input, and see where that leads to! Kind of give them a little freedom to express their style, and creativity in your idea to create a piece of rolling art!

After all, Automotive Seasoned Graphic Artists have picked many colors, and done many different designs over their career! They have a pretty good knowledge of what works, and looks good, and would love nothing more than to become inspired by your design, and help transfer your concept into something really great! Then you will most likely find the air brusher to become a lot more into your project, and excited about making your custom paint into something really special, and eye catching! That is exactly how I handled my flames! I helped design the basic layout freehand in the booth, and allowed my friend to come in, and have some freedom over whatever he wanted as far as making it look cool, which made plain black flames, to "Wow, look at that"! So do not be afraid to ask questions, get other feedback! Ask about adding drop shadows for definition, or maybe some smoke peaking out from behind a flame lick, or hand pin striping to accentuate the lines, and so on!

Great Paint doesn't need to be over the top, cost a fortune, and be blindingly bright! More often than not, what catches ones eye is in the smaller details. The simple small details that make your paint more interesting, and totally unique to you!

So, what inspires you???

Here are a couple of color ideas for you.Keep in mind, on a white PT, you pretty much have a blank canvas, so you can put a bit of color, and it will look great!

Here is a PT woth traditional Flame Color;

Here is one with a clean layout, and just a hint of color.

And finally, something like what I feel you are looking for. Basic white over subtle, but clean flame job with a very neutral light rose almond pearl.

I hope that might help in your project, and wish you all the best!

Take care!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 18 Oct 2008, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: help deciding!!!!!!!!

wow thanks for that insight candyman!!! I liked the last one and you were right, its subtle in a way yet nice too.. I like it and was wondering
1. is there a place that you know of in sac that can do something like that?
2. or are there places online where i can buy vinyl flames and put them on?
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to brightlight07

whoa that last onez tight!
juss gotta love gts headlight covers
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Streamlinedesigns web site allows you to see differnet style/colour flames in vinyl on different colour PT's...check them out
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 19 Oct 2008, 03:26 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman

Hey their metraluk,

Weather it is vinyl, or paint, their are pro's, and Con's on both sides of the fence when it comes to flames. Here are a few points to think about.

Vinyl:

PRO: Vinyl is much less expensive, and requires much less time, and labor!

CON: It looks, feels, and act like a giant sticker. A very fancy sticker, but still a sticker.

PRO: It is not permanant, so if you change your mind later, you can remove it.

CON: Since it covers over your some of your paint, while leaving the rest exposed, if you decide to remove it, you will have a significant color difference.

Paint:

PRO: You can do much more detail work, and it looks more custom finished.

CON: It is permanent, so if you don't like it later, you are stuck with it.

PRO: It will never deteriorate around the edges like Vinyl, or collect wax around the edge every time you wax your ride.

CON: It is more expensive, your ride will need to be disassembled and reassembled to do it right, and if you ever wreck your PT, unless you make an allotment to cover it, you will have to pay extra to cover the cost of fixing the graphics.

For me, I prefer paint, but it is just my preference. Most good Body Shops should be able to handle a job like that fairly easy. It is even better if you can find an automotive graphics shop, or a shop that does a lot of older street rods, or specialty cars, but it is not necessary.

It is a little more on the expensive side, but their is a lot of work involved. To give you a good idea of the process, lets look at my ride as an example.

I just did my flames back in early March of this year. I did all of the design work, and had a friend of mine help me lay it out, and shoot it. A job like this will run upwards of $2000 - $2500 to do. Here is the process.

We started by disassembling most bolt on items like mirrors, door handles, emblems, from the car. In my case, I had a couple of defects in the paint, and chose to re-shoot the front bumper, and grille separately, so they were removed, and we also smoothed out a couple of spots on the body as well. Once the car was stripped, the paint was color sanded to the rear quarter panel.

Next we prepped, and masked the car, rolled it into the paint booth, and started laying out the flame design with thin tape. Their are a couple of methods for laying the design out. The newer ways utilize the computer stencil to get everything measured, and exact. We instead did mine the old school traditional method by laying out the flames by hand, and using sight for measure, which requires a more skilled painter, with a good eye to pull off. Here, you can see where I started laying out the flames freehand, and my friend and helper Roger trying to finish up the front of the opposite side while he was learning how to lay out the pattern, and I got a couple of shots off.

After laying out the basic design, we then masked, and did all the prep for shooting some color on the flames. Here you can see my PT sitting in the booth all ready to go. Note: in this case, the four coats of Kandy Tangerine Pearl was already baked from the week before, and has been masked off from the rest of the graphic work. Also, the front Bumper had some blemishes in the new paint so it was renoved and reshot seperate to get the new color just right from top to bottom.

Next, we proceeded to prep, and shoot the black flames. After letting the paint cure while we took a break, we went back in, and used an air brush to shoot copper Ice Pearl with Microflake at the tip of each flame, and then alternated streaks of gold, silver, and gunmetal gray Ice pearl with Microflake into the entire flame design to give it more depth, and the illusion of changing multiple colors as the sun hits it which gives it a little pop.

After letting the paint bake, and cure, we color sanded the paint back down to a dull flat surface, and moved on to our finishing touches. My friend Roger took over my air brush, and worked on learning how to shoot drop shadowing which is basically a streak of color strategically placed to make the paint appear as though it is has a 3D effect slightly floating, or hovering above the bodies surface. I chose to use some Brandy Wine for the drop shadow which I thought would better compliment the colors instead of going with dark gray which I use way too much already. Anyways, here is Roger shooting the shadow effect.

Next it was time for some hand pin striping to finish off the edges of our layout, and give it a more done look to it. This is where Roger really helped out as his specialty is sign painting, does a ton of custom lettering, and he has an extremely steady hand. For this, we decided to make take a bit of a risk and do a transition from bright orange up front, to dark red as we made our way down the sides of the layout. The real risk was, if we screwed anything up, we were going to have to redo a ton of work all over again! Anyway, here is old Ice Man Roger doing what he does best.

And finally, we shot 14 coats of clear, and here is the final look. The reason we used so much clear was to give it a deep rich color, and protect the flames from damage.

After the paint was baked, and cured, it was all color sanded down again, and buffed back out to a high gloss finish, and then final assembly.

We purposely designed the flame layout with future plans in mind, as I want to shave my door handles, and redo my front end later on, and can now do both without having to go near the flames in the process. And here is the car today.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to show why it is more expensive to do paint. The labor involve, and the high cost of paint is the biggest reasons, but if you can afford to do it, the outcome is well worth it to me!

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask away!

Take er easy!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 31 Jan 2010 at 05:46 am.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Woooow that loooks like a lot of work but the outcome and the coloring is awesome man. the looks of the car totally stand out once u added the flames. Hey man i noticed that you are located in riverside. do u have any friends in sacramento that do paint jobs?? wow i bet my car wont look as good as yours does.