PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help changing headlights on 2002 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2008, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help changing headlights on 2002 PT Cruiser

Hey everyone,

I know this is a simple thing, but I'm asking anyhow. I have a Chilton's guide on the PT Cruiser, and I want to change out the headlights to something brighter. The book says to pop the cover out and rotate it out of the fenderwell. The only picture they show is with it already open (and you can't see the cover).

My question is, what sides do I pop out, and what do I rotate? I got one side out, and wasn't sure after that. Rather than risk breaking something on the cover (and having it open), I decided to post here.

If someone can post either pictures showing each step in the process (or a video), that would be great. Or just tell me what gets popped out and what gets rotated.

For reference, the one slot that I got open was in the front. There are two tabs that stick out on the side closest to the engine and another slot on the side closest to the body.

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving
Patrick.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help changing headlights on 2002 PT Cruiser

Patrick,

There's a oblong flap located in the inner fenderwell on each side above the tire. Look inside the fenderwell and up towards where the light is and you see it. Turning the wheel towards the opposite side helps gain access. Gently pry out the tabs till the flap comes off and you'll see the backs of the lights. There's not a lot of room to work in changing the bulbs, but it can be done

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Patrick,

There's a oblong flap located in the inner fenderwell on each side above the tire. Look inside the fenderwell and up towards where the light is and you see it. Turning the wheel towards the opposite side helps gain access. Gently pry out the tabs till the flap comes off and you'll see the backs of the lights. There's not a lot of room to work in changing the bulbs, but it can be done
Thanks Crewzin. I found the oblong cover earlier and removed one tab in the front of it. I was trying to pry out the tab that's closest to the body (outside) and it wouldn't go. The two tabs that look like fingers are on the side closest to the engine.

So, what you're saying is I have to pry out all of those tabs then right? As I said in the OP, I don't want to break the tabs (and end up with no cover there). That's why I'm being so questionable about it.

Also, I was jacking the car up until the wheels were just about to come off the ground. That seemed to give me more clearance to work. I don't want to remove the wheels (per the Chilton's Manual) because I don't want to deal with having to torque the lug nuts.

Have a great day
Patrick.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 06:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Patrick,

It works better in the summer but of course you don't want to wait till then, so take the flap off in the warmest part of the day, otherwise you could snap off one or more of the tabs because of the "brittleness" of the plastic. Take your time.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Nov 2008, 11:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

crewzin could you use a heat gun to warn up the plastic___I'm asking cause I want to replace the bulbs in my 06
Old 24 Nov 2008, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would assume you can use a heat gun, but be careful, maybe a hair dryer would work better as they don't get as hot. I live in Florida and last summer I tried to remove mine, they still came out HARD!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Jan 2009, 07:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

How do you remove the actual entire headlight assembly ?

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin
Old 22 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Need help changing headlights on 2002 PT Cruiser

I have a heater in the garage over my work bench.
But, I also just put a high-watt work ligh in the wheel well to help warm up the plastic. My access panel to the headlight were "REALLY" stubborn!
(OH! I you have really big hands, you might want to enlist some small-handed help)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 23 Jan 2009, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cyclone06,

OK here's the instructions....

1. Remove the wheel and the fender well splash shield.

2. Remove the radiator grill.

3. Remove the 3 bumper cover-to-fender fasteners on the side you are working on. This will provide the space needed to allow the headlight housing to be removed.

It may also be necessary to remove one or more bumper cover-to-radiator crossmember bolts.

4. Working in the fender well, remove the retaining nuts, detatch the headlight housing and withdraw it from the vehicle. Disconnect the electrical connections.

Old 27 Jan 2009, 06:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CYCLONE_06 Send a message via Yahoo to CYCLONE_06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Cyclone06,

OK here's the instructions....

1. Remove the wheel and the fender well splash shield.

2. Remove the radiator grill.

3. Remove the 3 bumper cover-to-fender fasteners on the side you are working on. This will provide the space needed to allow the headlight housing to be removed.

It may also be necessary to remove one or more bumper cover-to-radiator crossmember bolts.

4. Working in the fender well, remove the retaining nuts, detatch the headlight housing and withdraw it from the vehicle. Disconnect the electrical connections.

Thanks crewzin. So if Im reading correctly, you take the wheel off, pull the splash shield back, remove the 3 or so bolts on the backside of the light and then it should come out ? How do you get to the "radiator" retaining bolt ?

~CYCLONE_06

"It's been said winning isn't everything... Just not by me."
--Mark Martin