Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gray bumper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2008, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default gray bumper

hi. how can i change my grey bumper to black?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 08:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: gray bumper

You can take it to a paint shop and have them do it professionally. It takes time to do it right and a few years ago mine costs $150 each.

There's also a product called "Back to Black" or "Bumper Black" that you can buy at an auto store (Auto Zone) and it will turn your bumper black. It's like liquid shoe polish so wear gloves when applying and you might have to go over it again every few months.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks. theres no way to just replace it with a black bumper?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you mean a black bumper from another cruiser or from the dealer? Not really. The bumper is attached to the lower front facia so you can't just buy the bumper.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oh. thank you so much. i had been going crazy trying to find just the bumper online. all i saw was what you just said, the whole lower grill and all. well, do others abhor the grey bumper? do they paint the bumper black or do they get the lower facia painted to match car and leave bumper black, if that is the color it comes as?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If my memory serves me correct. The PT came with the gray bumper in 2001 and 2002. After that for a year or so, only the base model came with the gray bumper and the Touring and Limited Edition came with the bumper painted the same as the car.

Some of us with the earlier gray years had them painted car colors. A lot of owners just left them alone. It's entirely up to you what you want to do. If you order one from the dealer, I think you order it in color, but I may be wrong about that.

You can swap bumpers from 2001 thru 2005 so if you find a bumper with your color you can just add it to your car.

One more thing. There IS a difference with the turbo models as the lower grill is slightly bigger (more air access to the inter-cooler) than the non-turbo models so they might no be able to swap front ends.

Old 30 Nov 2008, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok. thank you. i read about back to black and reviews said it comes off in the rain. they recommended a forever black that has much better reviews. thoughts?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go for the better review.

Old 30 Nov 2008, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok. sounds good.
Old 01 Dec 2008, 11:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I do know that on my 06 touring the car is black the bumper is black and every time i load something in the back if you are not really carefully it will scratch the black bumper Id like to have some kind of something that would take a little abuse ( I usually am loading guitars and amps maybe a mic stand or guitar stand)