Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HIDs will not work with engine running. HELP PLEASES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2008, 07:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question HIDs will not work with engine running. HELP PLEASES

Hi I just got a 2006 PT Cruiser Base modal. I had an HID kit that worked on my 2008 and 2007 Dodge Chargers. And they work good every time. The HID lights fit, they are 9006XS. So I pluged them in just like I did in the Chargers and they worked just fine with the car off. But when I turned the car on the HIDs started to flash like strobs and then stoped working. Then I turned the car off and they came back on. Why is that? and what do I need to do to get them working right? See I'm a college student and I had to give back my Charger to the bank, and now I have a 06 PT Cruiser. So I don't have any money to get a new HID kit. I hope I can get them working, but if not, can anyone give me an HID kit for free if they have one that they are not using. See I have the SilverStar in, yet they are better then stock, they still suck ass. When the HIDs did work, they were SO MUCH BETTER!!! And I don't have any Fog lights to. I do a lot of open road driving and I need the better light so I can see at night. So can any one help me?
Old 09 Dec 2008, 04:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: HIDs will not work with engine running. HELP PLEASES

Dose anyone know why my HIDs don't work? Or what I need to do to get them working.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HIDs will not work with engine running. HELP PLEASES

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampCruiser View Post
Dose anyone know why my HIDs don't work? Or what I need to do to get them working.
Are you sure you have them wired correctly? Check the voltage and ground. Make sure that when the car starts, the hot wire isnt dropping below 12v. You may need a different wireing harness.

Also, if they "strobed" you may have burned out either the igniters or the balasts. I sell HID's as kits and in parts. If you figure out what you need, I can get you pricing.

A whole new 9006 kit in any kelvin rating (color) will run you about $160.00 shipped.

-Adam
Motiv Race
WOOTPARTS.COM - Motiv Race
Old 25 Dec 2008, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to BradentonBreeze Send a message via Yahoo to BradentonBreeze

Vamp I had the same issue. You need a power harness for them. The factory headlight wiring does not supply enough power when the car is running and everything is drawing power to fire the igniters and keep the ballasts burning so the kit tries to fire 4 or 5 times and shuts off. You can acquire a power harness for about 20 shipped. You will need it even if you get a new kit. Hope this helps so you don't have to break out the multimeter and lose your mind troubleshooting like I did.

Last edited by BradentonBreeze; 25 Dec 2008 at 11:55 am.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 09:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to brightlight07

vamp i had almost this same exact problem in my monte carlo...
like it would make this sound and flash..you should check the plugs cus one of mine were crooked..straightened it up and now they work perfect