PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
vintage fender light turned hood ornament?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2009, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default vintage fender light turned hood ornament?

hi all -

i was thinking about using a vintage late 30s motorcycle fender light as a lighted hood ornament.

i mounted it using double-sided tape to see how it would look.

i posted a couple of pics. i would really appreciate any feedback before i drill 3 holes through my hood many thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt1.JPG (57.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg pt2.JPG (30.3 KB, 137 views)
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.

Last edited by pppt03turbo; 26 Feb 2009 at 06:49 pm.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: vintage fender light turned hood ornament?

Reminds me of my dad's ole Pontiac with the lighted Indian chief face.

If your gonna do it, I'd find a place selling the chrome strip that goes from windshield down to lighted piece, or make your own.

Like this one on eBay:

Just my opinion.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Feb 2009 at 06:20 pm.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 06:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

crewzin - good idea! i have a long left-over chrome piece from my tailgate "nomad" trim treatment.
gt model, modified airbox with cold air induction, magnecor plug wires, tyc b/up lenses, chrome grille kit, retro 3d taillights painted steel blue, buick-style portholes, nomad chevy trunk trim, blue interior light strips, and massive turned down diesel-type exhaust tip.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your going for the old fashioned look there's a lot of other mods you can go for to complete the look.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I also would suggest a chrome strip, sort of like the older model Pontiac that had a chrome strip or strips to the "Chieftain Indian Head" hood ornament.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Feb 2009, 08:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

hooligan - i'm all over crewzin's chrome strip idea. i plan on taking an exacto and carving around the hood ornament to make it look like it's all a one piece deal --- like the old pontiacs.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 10:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppt03turbo View Post
hi all -

i was thinking about using a vintage late 30s motorcycle fender light as a lighted hood ornament.

i mounted it using double-sided tape to see how it would look.

i posted a couple of pics. i would really appreciate any feedback before i drill 3 holes through my hood many thanks in advance.
Reminds me of the hood ornament on the 49 DeSoto my Mom drove us to Fla in back in 1959 when she divorced my Dad.
It was the head of DeSoto wearing a Spanish conquistador helmet and his face was amber plastic and when the headlights were on the face lit up.
Kinda like a latern showing us the way to a new life in a new place...I was only 3 but remember it to this day.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaschief View Post
Reminds me of the hood ornament on the 49 DeSoto my Mom drove us to Fla in back in 1959 when she divorced my Dad.
It was the head of DeSoto wearing a Spanish conquistador helmet and his face was amber plastic and when the headlights were on the face lit up.
Kinda like a latern showing us the way to a new life in a new place...I was only 3 but remember it to this day.

The Pontiac's Chief's head also lit up.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Feb 2009, 03:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That would be Chief Pontiac we had the big boat Pontiac that had the push button tranny and the back window did something odd buy I cant remember what

I love them chrome strips on the tailgate did you make that up yourself or is it a kit?????
Old 27 Feb 2009, 03:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Definitely don't like it. Too small and does not go well with the car. Look elsewhere.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic