Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2009, 11:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Default new mod

I got the idea from some of my biker friends that have blinking brake lites. I cut one wire to the 3rd brake lite and wired in a turn signal relay.....now the 3rd brake lite blinks and I think it gets the person attention behind me.

now if I could just do the same thing on my helmet........getting hit in the rear on my bike by a driver doing 45 was no fun
Old 13 Mar 2009, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: new mod

That is a great mod. I've had the blinking light on my LED strip on the PT and the 3rd brake light on my Vette for about 2 years. The place that sells all kinds of electrical gadgets for cars is: Sequential Turn Signals, One Touch Turn Signals, Challenger Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, 2005 2006 2007 2008, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, One Touch Convertible Top, Dynamite Stick, One Touch Turn S

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 01:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

I know I sound like doom and gloom a lot of times, especially on lighting issues and here goes again.

Messing with the third brake like is asking for nothing but trouble, and not from your local or even state police, but from the Federal Government. That light, where it is placed and how it works is mandated by federal law. Have someone rear end you, have it noted on the police report that your third brake light was not operating as it came from the factory and you may not have pockets deep enough to pay for the civil suit that might come about, even though the person that hit you was at fault.

I belong to a lighting user group that is made up mostly of LEO's, Firemen and installers of emergency lighting (that do this for a living). One thing they will not modify, not even for law enforcement agencies, in any way is that third brake like. Put strobes in your taillights, add extra legal lighting, but don't mess with that third brake light.

I don't care if the web site Crewzin referenced shows kits to pulsate the CHMBL, I just don't recommend you do it.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 13 Mar 2009, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I realize what your saying and can appreciate what your trying to say but I did look into the "flasher" with fellow LEO's before adding it to my cars. There's nothing stating that having it flash a couple times before a steady red is illegal.

Now 4Speed said he took a regular flasher and added it to his CHMSL and I believe it flashes all the time even when stopped, which would alter the word of the law. Mine is a steady red after 3-4 flashes. Even the motorcycle headlamp flasher, which we've all seen, is permissible and does attract more attention.

It's exactly why our Sheriff, Police, Fire and any emergency units have flashing/rotating lights; to get attention from other drivers on the road. Down here in Florida, and maybe elsewhere, all school buses now have a high intensity revolving white light on top whenever the vehicle is on the road.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 10:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: new mod

When I did all the extra customization, including the rear bumprer, I had my dealer install the "Signalz", 3rd brake light blinker.....exactly....to get the following driver's attention.

....and then I copied Crewezins LED bar in the spoiler idea! That's almost my favorite mod on soonercruiser!

PT Cruiser World

[IMG] PT Cruiser World [/IMG]

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 15 Mar 2009 at 10:46 pm.