PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Doors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2009, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Doors

Hi,
I was trying to see what type of doors or best to apply to my ride. Bolt on or Weld on??? Also what is the difference between the 90 degree and 180 degree lambo doors? Really I just need some info on which are the right type before I go and purchase them. Oh and have you heard of the Gullwing doors?
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Doors

She_so,

I guess I read your first posts wrong but you know your talking a lot of money. Lets start with your gull wings. I don't it's been done before on a PT so you would be the first but I'd say your talking in the neighborhood of probably $5-7,000. The suiside or lambo doors have been done but your still talking probably $1000 per door.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I figure that. I had my mind set on Lambo doors I fount some mount ons foe only $799 but I am afraid that if not installed propberly they can damage my car further. So I believe I will just go with the suicide doors on back. They're cheaper and cause me less fear.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

IMO suicides will cost alot more than lambo doors since the handles have to be reversed. The kit might cost less but you need either relocate the door handles, or get rid of them completely, both of which require body work and re-painting the doors.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 03:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: PT Doors

Hey their she_so,

Here is the only known Gullwing I have seen to date.

As for Suicide Doors, here is a write up I did a while back helping out another Member here.

Suicide Door Hinges

Though this is the Kit that has that upward pitch to it, here is a good basic breakdown of whats involved in the process.

Suicide Hinge Instructions

Here is a Link to my Photo Archive on Lambo and Suicide Doors with several Pic's to flip through.

SUICIDE AND LAMBO DOORS pictures by WestValleyCruisersPTCruiserArchives - Photobucket

As for the different radius Kits available for the Lambo Doors, I have heard of different Kits for other vehicles, but never have seen anything with a different pitch for the PT. If you have any information on a Kit with a different Pitch, could you please post a Link so I can check it out?

As for welding, or bolting a Kit, I prefer welding from a structural standpoint. PT Doors are generally heavy, and for me its better to add the extra supports to keep the doors from sagging if suicided, and the same on the Lambo's. Otherwise depending on how much you drive your PT, if you do the Bolt oOn thing, you will likely have to keep realigning the Doors over time to keep everything aligned, and working properly.

The Cost for the Lambo Kit itself is around $2000.00, and around $1000 to $1300 for the Labor to weld it in with the extra supports. The Suicide Rear Doors are a bit more work as you have to hand form the Door Mounts, trim and reconfigure the rear doors both front, and back, and either relocate, and hand form the rear door handles, or shave them. The Kit is around $600 - $800 for the parts, but their is a ton of labor involved, and the overall cost is around $5000+ to get everything done correctly, painted, and out the door. If you decide to shave the Door Handles like most who have done the mod do, then their will be the additionl cost of wiring door poppers, installing all the system components, and the body work, and materials to reshape the doors, prep, and paint which should run somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 to $1200 or so to finish as well.

Last but not least, remember to keep in mind that clearance issue with the Lambo Kit, and the best solution being the Reverse Hood Kit. Poi with the Silver Vert and Blue Tribal Flames has had to have his hood repainted three times now as a result. Once at the Body Shop who origionally painted his Cowl Induction hood, and wound up repainting it due to an Employee showing off for a friend, and accidentelly opend the Lambo Doors into the hood while it was up resulting in them having to strip the fresh paint off the hood, and repaint it for the second time, and then again the same thing happened when he got his Interior redone last year in which they opened the doors into the hood resulting in them having to pay again to repaint the hood, and graphics!

As for cost on the Reverse Hood Kit, the parts are around $250 - $300, but the last install Ray did at PTeazer was approximately $2800.00 out the door including touching up the Paint, and finishing everything up nice and clean!

The Lambo Doors as far as safety should be pretty easy, as with the reverse hood kit as well, but as far as suiciding the rear doors, there have been a few circumstances where improper installation, and modification has led to the rear doors opening at freeway speed, and either coming off, or causing severe damage to the vehicle, and injury, and death to people involved. As a result, I only know of two shops in the Country currently willing to look into doing suicide rear doors on a PT due to the liability! The best Shop that I know of is located out north of Phoenix AZ, and the other Shop is located here in Los Angeles CA. This is why you only see a small handful of PT's with Suicide Doors done, and they were mostly done early on with the majority of them being built by Ray at PTeazer from around 2001 - 2003, and has since quit doing them over the Liability issues.

Any way you look at it, to do the bigger mods like Doors, and so on it will cost some big money unfortunately! I don't say this to discourage you in any way, but rather to inform you of whats involved from someone with some good hands on experience, and a solid background in Paint & Body. I just hate to see people tear into a perfectly good car and destroy it without realizing what all was involved, and eventually just go broke trying to fix it, give up, and eventually just junk their ride! Seen it happen to a lot of freinds, and dion't want it to happen to you!

If you just want to do the Lambo Kit, and Reverse the Hood, provided you were going to get the doors welded in with the added supports, you should be a ble to get away with it for around $5000 all together out the door. If you wanted to add Suicide rear Doors, and Shave the Door Handles as well, I would say you would be looking in the neighborhood of around $11000 all together, and then if you are still planning your two tone Paint, then provided you use the same shop for everything, you could most likely get a good package deal, and wind up in the neighborhood of around $15000 - $16000 from start to finish to get everything done in one shot. If you were planning a project that big, you will need to find a full on Custom Shop that is able to handle all that modification, and you should be looking at a time span of around six months to complete that much work. Most regular Body Shops, and Collision Centers will not touch a job that big due to the sheer amount of time involved, not having the proper equipment needed to do that much modification, not having the insurance to cover the liability if something should go wrong with anything due to the amount of Modification needed either during, or anytime after the project is done due to safety issues, and as with most custom work, their is simply no income in it! Body Shops make their money off quick easy Collision Repairs, and almost always wind up barely breaking even on Custom Work in most circumstances, and with the Economy in a slump, that is unfortunately probably going to work against you on finding a Shop to take it on right now, even if you had the cash to walk in and do it right now!

Like I said, I am not out to discourage anyone! I love doing Body Mods, and especially doing Custom Paint work, but that is just the reality of it all right now! Most all of the pricing, and information above should be close to being dead on accurate for Parts and Labor in the current market. Costs may be higher in some area's depending on circumstances.

I wish you all the best, please be carefull, plan things out well, and as always, should you have any more questions, I am always here!

Go easy!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 15 Mar 2009, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanx to all....I have decided to leave the doors alone. This is going to be my everyday car meaning that I will drive it to and from work, to run errands, and take my daughter to and from daycare. So at the fear of professionals judging me I will leave the doors alone.....for now
Old 16 Mar 2009, 10:26 pm
Young Cruiser

If you get the VDI (Vertical Doors inc) "Lambo" kit they open out like a regular door and you don't need to open them up unless you want to. A VDI kit is bolt on and is one of the top leaders in the market. There is an ever going battle over which is better VDI or LSD. A VDI kit will run you about $1400 where an LSD kit will run you about $1900. The only difference between the two is that the LSD kit will not allow you to pull the door in until it is all the way down but most people don't think that is worth the extra $$ just with the VDIs you need to remember not to pull the door in till it is all the way down or else you will ding up the inside of your door near the latch