PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
headlight spray tint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2009, 04:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yteka99
Default headlight spray tint?

My buddy was telling me about one of his friends who used some type of spray paint that he put on the inside of his head light plastic to use as a tint? Instead of buying smoke covers its like a spray on tint i guess you would call it. Any ideas on it or anyone used it and can tell me a little about it?
Old 15 May 2009, 07:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Re: headlight spray tint?

I remember seeing a post about something like this before, a while ago. When i get some time (I'm about to leave for school) I'll try to hunt it down for you

Old 15 May 2009, 07:58 am
Regular Cruiser

thanks
Old 16 May 2009, 09:26 am
Regular Cruiser

I know there's a product called Nightshades; it is a spray on tint. If you're going dark; remember to apply several thin applications, allowing the tint to dry in between applications. Otherwise, it will look uneven and goopy. This tint does allow the lights to shine through, much like conventional light covers. I think this spray on tint is available on Ebay.
Old 16 May 2009, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Let me be the spoilsport on the subject. Check with your local laws on tinting of the headlights. All states have different laws subject to the condition, coverage, color and tint of all the lights on a vehicle plus the federal laws that are also in affect.

Just because you can buy it on eBay or at the auto stores doesn't make it legal.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 16 May 2009, 10:36 am
Young Cruiser

yes that stuff is called Nightshades works pretty good but like said before use thin coats so that you can get the shade of tint you want. also ive used model paint to lights...pics

before

after

and headlights were painted which i plan to do to the cruiser

and a couple fav pics of the eclipse..i miss it

Old 16 May 2009, 01:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: headlight spray tint?

Hey Guys,

I figured I would chime in here. Nightshades is alright, but it is very watery so you have to apply paper thin tach coats or it is gonna get messy quick. It also darkens really quick so go easy with it. Their is also another product from Japan that you can find on Ebay that is better, but you still have to be careful. Can't remember what its called but do a search and you should find it.

Only real downside other than being illegal is that though they do let the lights shine through, the headlight will not project nearly as good. In other words you can still drive at night but you will see about half as good as before. That is why not too many people do them. Mostly tail lights are better, and easier.

Two other alternatives you might look into if you go with it are hobby stained glass paint, or stop by an Automotive Paint Supply Store and pic up a custom mixed spray can of any color Candy Paint you like. Both are transparent and will do the trick. Same headlight problem but still works.

Last thing, instead of shooting the outside like a lot of people do, I would highly recommend shooting them from the inside. To do this, take the headlight out, preheat your oven to 250 degrees, put the headlight in the oven and cook it for 10 minutes to soften, and the adhesive will soften enough to come off. To re-apply repeat the same and carefully put everything back together.

Anyways, thats my take.

Go easy

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 16 May 2009, 04:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

i think its legal here in michigan. a lot of people have tinted lights at least so i wouldnt mind. plus its just a fix it ticket for tint here, just take it off and the ticket goes away.
Old 17 May 2009, 06:46 am
Regular Cruiser

can i just put window tint on my lights? I cant find spray tint and its only 20 for a whole role of window tint
Old 17 May 2009, 06:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yteka99 View Post
can i just put window tint on my lights? I cant find spray tint and its only 20 for a whole role of window tint

Lots of auctions for Pre-cut headlight tint on eBay ....

CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 01-05 SMOKE HEADLIGHT TINT COVER:eBay Motors (item 400041963853 end time Jun-05-09 18:37:05 PDT)
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.