Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just as a precaution..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2009, 06:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Just as a precaution..

So, I went ahead and installed a set of Xenon "HID-like" bulbs in my PT, which I thoroughly enjoy and am EXTREMELY pleased with.

My problem, however, is that I love my clear headlights on my PT (as opposed to those I've seen with the etched/clouded headlights) and am concerned that the added heat from the bulbs may eventually do some sort of damage to the lenses on the my headlights.

I dislike drilling, cutting, and hacking away at things on my PT, but has anyone installed these and thought about using a small drill somewhere on the housing to allow heat to escape? It would obviously have to be towards the back of the housing, and towards the top as well (to prevent any water from entering the housing)..

..Is this doable? Or should I just forget it and quit worrying?

Old 15 Jun 2009, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just as a precaution..

Chris,

I may be wrong here but since your new, you haven't been around long enough to know about the APC brand of products, especially the taillights. One of the things that were wrong with the lights is that they weren't made very air tight and they clouded up fro the inside and moisture looked like it was inside as well. Yes, drilling a hole will let a little air inside but it will also let condensation build up from changes in the outside air where it couldn't do that if they were well sealed.

if anyone has other thoughts about that or know something more about that, please speak up.

One thing you do have to worry about in the amperage on the wires from the new lights. We have had owners burn out the wiring system from using too much power with their new lights.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Jun 2009 at 07:41 pm.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the wattage of the bulbs you got is same as stock, stop worrying. If they are higher, worry, but worry more about the wiring...
To keep you headlights clear - wax them when you do your car.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jun 2009, 11:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

I was definitely not here for the APC taillight episode, but thank you for relaying the information. I'm very aware of the moisture issue but wasn't sure if there was a section of the headlight housing that could be kept away from moisture.

I'm fairly certain they're the same as the stock bulbs. I really never worried about the stock bulb temps, so I'm not sure if the headlights are supposed to be a bit warm to the touch after a bit of use. I did run my hand over my taillights and felt a little warm, so I guess I'm safe in that respect.

Thanks again guys.