Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
hatch problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default hatch problems

hi guys... i need your opinions on why my hatch door "clunks" when i open it. I really have to almost force it, and sometime it barely makes any noises....i looked at everything i can and everything looks good.....HELP! lol

To hell with all religions!

Yes my baby is stock, for now!
Old 17 Jun 2009, 07:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: hatch problems

What year? Up until '05, the latch was mechanical, then it went electrical.
I'll assume yours is mechanical. I'd get some silicone spray and apply generously to all parts of the latch mechnism you can get at.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jun 2009, 04:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
What year? Up until '05, the latch was mechanical, then it went electrical.
I'll assume yours is mechanical. I'd get some silicone spray and apply generously to all parts of the latch mechnism you can get at.

it is indeed, i have an 04GT...the latch works proprely because it unlocks wellthe first few inches are ok..its the rests.....thanks!

Old 17 Jun 2009, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So it unlatches OK? Look carefully at the hydraulic struts. See if they're loose or defective.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jun 2009, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
So it unlatches OK? Look carefully at the hydraulic struts. See if they're loose or defective.

they black part is starting to be rusty....and i aint sure about the way they "sit" where they bolt up....looks crouked to me, but i looked at a hatch on ebay and on the pic it looked off too......

Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:44 am
Young Cruiser

I hate to admit it, but when mine did this about a month ago it turned out that I had closed a freakin screwdriver in the seam on the right which jammed the liftgate to the bodypanel. Check to see if there's some kind of obstruction, or if the beauty panels have come loose and are sticking.

If there's nothing obstructing the motion then I'd replace the gas springs that provide the counter-force needed to lift the gate. Over time they age and the seal leaks slowly. Once the nitrogen in the cylinder is depleted they will no longer "spring" and can jam internally, which may be the cause of your sticking and clunking when you open it, loss of the pressure in the cylinders themselves will cause the liftgate to "feel" heavier and make it harder to open.

$27 ea (+tax) at AutoZone
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabouty View Post
I hate to admit it, but when mine did this about a month ago it turned out that I had closed a freakin screwdriver in the seam on the right which jammed the liftgate to the bodypanel. Check to see if there's some kind of obstruction, or if the beauty panels have come loose and are sticking.

If there's nothing obstructing the motion then I'd replace the gas springs that provide the counter-force needed to lift the gate. Over time they age and the seal leaks slowly. Once the nitrogen in the cylinder is depleted they will no longer "spring" and can jam internally, which may be the cause of your sticking and clunking when you open it, loss of the pressure in the cylinders themselves will cause the liftgate to "feel" heavier and make it harder to open.

$27 ea (+tax) at AutoZone
thanks man! but i wont go at autoszone, altho id love to....kinda hard up here because that store doesnt exist.....ill try canadian tire or UAP/NAPA!