PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Candyman ... or anyone else ... thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2009, 03:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Candyman ... or anyone else ... thoughts?

Alright, so according to Virginia State law any light beyond the required / allowed lights to drive the vehicle while the vehicle is in motion is illegal.

That said, here's what I'm thinking, just for shits:

1) Red underglow on the tail only, activated ONLY when the brakes are pressed.
2) Short tube amber in the front sides under the side markers, only on when side markers are on.
3) White underglow on the front, only when high beams or fog lamps are lit.

It falls into the required colors, positions, and timed to only activate when allowed to under normal light laws.

Just something I'm bantering around ... am gonna put it in front of a local county sheriff once I've solidified the thought process and see if it flies (beer buddy).
Old 18 Jun 2009, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Candyman ... or anyone else ... thoughts?

I think, if whoever here's your plan and knows the law as stated in your first statement, will tell you that you'll probably be pulled over and cited the first time it's seen lit up.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 04:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I think, if whoever here's your plan and knows the law as stated in your first statement, will tell you that you'll probably be pulled over and cited the first time it's seen lit up.
Agreed. You'll get pulled over for any underbody lights on while moving. Too distracting to other drivers.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Jun 2009, 04:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, just asked my brother who's an officer down here in Florida and he said he'd write you up in a heartbeat.. and I'm pretty sure with our lack of inspections and whatnot, that Florida cops are easier than cops up by you..

Good luck if you decide to do it though.

Old 18 Jun 2009, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm not 100% positive, but I don't believe ANY underbody tubes are allowed here in Virginia, no matter what the color. Seem to recall hearing about that several years ago, when they first came out..... sorry!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to fastdel

any body seen in uk by police driving with under body lights get to book thrown @ them a big no no far to distractive to other road users
but look kool if your @ a show
Old 19 Jun 2009, 09:54 am
Young Cruiser

Talked with my VA county cop (James City County) buddy, here's what he told me:

Quote:
As long as the tubes themselves are covered and not able to be seen, and are never lit while in motion, you're fine and will pass inspection. Neons are allowed and can be used while the vehicle is parked and the keys are out of the ignition, however, if the keys are in the ignition and the neons are lit we can cite you just as if you were in motion.
That squares that up for me fairly succinctly lol. I gave him a beer and then he told me, "I triple dog dare ya ta do it."

Old 19 Jun 2009, 11:01 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Candyman ... or anyone else ... thoughts?

Hey their Jabouty,

Sorry, just catching up on posts. Anyways, I think it would be a cool mod, and what I would do if I were doing it would be to go with hooking up all the lights as planned but also set them up on a little toggle switch to kill them if need be. Then I would run with them on all the time and see how things go. If they do stop you, apologize and say that you are in a PT Club or something along those lines, added the lights for shows, and parades and so forth, and forgot to turn the switch off. To me, I would kinda think if you were cool with the guy you most likely would get off with a warning.

Honestly they are pretty subtle light mods and I kinda feel that they wouldn't say too much. Big 18 wheelers like I used to drive often like to add lights all over from the orange running lights, to multiple brake lights, and so on, and the Federal DOT has no problem with them in all 50 States in the US, and some of those guys really take it to the limit!

Here were talking lights that only operate with the brakes, and turn signals. They aren't flashing, or really causing much of a distraction as far as I can see really. I know I will probably catch some flok for this but I say go for it, and just put the switch just in case, and be done. To me its no more a big deal than like adding the third brake light mod to the rear wing of a PT (Which I have always thought was a cool mod their Crewzin and Sooner), or Slayerdarkcross with his rear wiper swap out for a bright red LED mod, or any other of the dozens of examples I can rattle off here, so I would think you should be ok as long as you are careful and safe with it, and like I say, if you have the switch, and anybody does say anything your all good.

That's my two cents anyways. Good luck, and if you do decide to go through with it, please click some pic's for us!

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 19 Jun 2009 at 11:06 am.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 12:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Uh, Candyman? Sorry, but that's not really good advice: you obviously don't know Virginia state police! They WILL pull him over, they WILL ticket, nodding politely and continuing to write him up, all the time he's giving that 'Cruiser Club' bit.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybluewoody View Post
you obviously don't know Virginia state police!

If you think Paula is kidding, read this:

Virginia to issue traffic fines as high as $3,000 - USATODAY.com
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.