PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Xenon HID vs. Factory Halogen - The test!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2009, 11:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Xenon HID vs. Factory Halogen - The test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfit View Post
Realy. I was looking at the link you sent and damn if it was built in then I am set.. Thanks for sending me that link. The wife and I have been looking for this type of set, especialy for this price.. good thing I saw your post, you just saved me $$$$.. I did not see thought , do you have foglights on your PT ?
Just make sure you tell the guy (when you purchase) exactly what vehicle you have, that way he can make sure you get the anti-flicker ballast for the bulb type you're ordering.

Good luck!

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find
Old 01 Jul 2009, 01:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Where the hell did you find a Hella headlamp assembly for the PT?!

Or I'm missing something...
Old 01 Jul 2009, 02:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not sure what year PT you have but mine is an '03 base PT.

If you look at the headlight, down along the bottom edge (near the bumber) the DOT and part numbers *thinks* wait I might have a photo of it.

*goes to look* YES found it!

See...(zoom in to see etching)

Chrysler must have sourced the lamps from Hella. This is not new, Hella was making headlamps for Chrysler way back in the Shelby Lancer days (circa 1989-90).

I'm assuming your car has them too. I didn't notice until recently either when I was looking closely at the lamps for the xenon conversion research.

Tom

Base '03, Light Almond Pearl Metallic - Modified 2.4 na w/ported head, 10.4:1 compression ratio & Crane #10 camshafts - 4 speed - Energy Poly bushings - Napa ceramic pads & Ultra premium rotors - Rotora Stainless brake lines - Extreme Acc. Xenon HID 8k low & 6k high

Dark taupe & Ivory Interior, Factory CD w/Sirius Stratus 4, Power Acoustik 840w 4ch, Boss 200w 2ch w 10" bandpass sub, 2 sets Phoniex Gold Matched comp. speakers

Rolling stock: 16" SE A7w 225/50/16 Kuhmo Ecsta AST - One of the nicest Light Almond PT's you'll find

Last edited by THS_Cruiser03; 01 Jul 2009 at 02:46 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 10:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

This might be a silly question, but can I just buy 8k and 6k bulbs and put them in my stop housings?

2005 civic ex special edition, 5spd, fully loaded, 40k miles

I have a wide-band o2 sensor for sale!! PM ME!!
Old 08 Aug 2009, 11:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wife just brought home a new BMW 7 something,I havn't seen it in the daylight yet. It has the high powered lighting,Traded in her beloved 88 750 twin turbo V12. Didn't think that would ever happen.
Damn near every car she met on the way home this evening blinked her at least twice,she was on dim..I think it has the same kind of lights Y'all are talking about...Her old one had halogens and was really adequate for anything..I went for a short ride a while ago..These lights on dim seem set low but the highs should be safe for 150+ mph. I'll get the book out tomorrow and see what they are..They give a blue/bright white look to everything..This is a real gadget machine..My feelings are trade it before the warranty expires..

YES ! That is a Ron Paul for President Sticker..

Growing OLD is Natural - Growing UP is Optional It's NEVER too late to have a Happy Childhood

Ed Sidders , Lake-O The-Pines , Northeast Texas

Last edited by edsidders; 09 Aug 2009 at 12:02 am.
Old 09 Aug 2009, 08:59 am
Cool Cruiser

They are probably HIDs, which I've had on a few cars and LOVED. Actually, I can promise they are hids. BMW and Mercedes have been using HIDs on their cars for YEARS before any other car on the market came out with them

Old 09 Aug 2009, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wink Re: Xenon HID vs. Factory Halogen - The test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THS_Cruiser03 View Post
No my car is a base PT so I don't have factory fogs.

See my question about hooking up aftermarket fogs to the factory wiring above here:Xenon HID vs. Factory Halogen - The test!

Anyone know if the switch wiring is there behind the center stack (rear defrost/rear wiper switch panel)? I can't remember where the stock fog switch goes on a PT?

Tom
hey just wanted to let u know, that when i had my 2001 base pt cruiser it had the fog light wires in it but no fogs. i found out later that all u needed to do was to buy the lighting stalk from Chrysler that had the fog switch in it. plug it in and put in a fuse and u now have fogs lights. i guess ur car and my car was made all the way to the point of fogs but they didn't put it in. i believe it means u have package F or something. ill try to find the website that told me this information hell it might of even been this one!.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 12:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Xenon HID vs. Factory Halogen - The test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
This might be a silly question, but can I just buy 8k and 6k bulbs and put them in my stop housings?
I don't think this will work for a number of reasons -

-These bulbs & ballasts run at 35 watts not 55 like your stock HL bulbs - you might blow then out on initial power up.

-These require a short "warm-up" period similar to flourescent bulbs (mine take about 5-7 seconds to reach full intensity) The ballasts help control the current flow until the bulb is warmed up.

-Remeber that your stock bulbs basically are bright because 55 wats at 12 volts is coursing through the tungsten (I think) element causing it to glow. The HID bulb is using an electrial arc to exicte the phosphorus type material and cause the molecules to glow.

It's totally different. I for one wouldn't try it at the cost of these bulbs.

Tom

Old 10 Aug 2009, 12:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks buo...

I guess I can head over to my local salvage yard to find the stalk with the fogl light controls!

Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone removed/replaced the turn signal stalk before? How much work is involved?

Also are the stock fog lights rated for 55watts? I don't want to blow fuses when running my aftermarket 55 watt fogs....

Thanks!

Old 10 Aug 2009, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input! I'm going to be picking up some Silvania Silverstars as per Cruizns input instead