Advertisements
Help! Custom front on a PT?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2009, 07:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help! Custom front on a PT?

Ok, so, I am new, and I am not sure if this is where this topic goes...
But...
I got my PT back in May, its an 02.
I really want to start customizing the car to my liking.

ANYWAY.
I have no idea what this is called, or even where to get one, but I really want the front piece on this car:

HERE

The entire front. The Grill too.

Where would I buy this? What's it called? Would it work on my car?
Thanks!
XOXO.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help! Custom front on a PT?

Welcome to the forum Hannah. Please fill out your profile when you get a chance.

Your post is in the right section, exterior.

Yes, that front will fit on your PT.

The ONLY place I know of that's selling that front end if California Cruisers. Personally I wouldn't try them unless you live in California or knows someone who does. Loads of people have trouble getting parts.

Click on the link below and then look for "Cal-40 Front" and click on that. I'm pretty sure that's what your looking for.

Auto Design Studio
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 04 Jul 2009 at 08:57 am.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 10:54 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Help! Custom front on a PT?

Hey their Hannah,

Welcome to the Forum as well!

As for the front end, sure enough, that is ol PT Bob's Cal 40 front end from California Cruisers. I am unfortunately going to have to agree with Crewzin on this one. He has a very, very long history of poor dealings, and is just not much of a person to be dealt with. His website is a bit tricky to navigate around sometimes. Here is the direct Link to his Cal 40, and his similar Phat 40 Front end variation's.

CAL-40 front

GANGSTA'

The only other problem I can confirm is the fitment of the molds. From a body and paint shop prospective, I can confirm the material is just no good on the quality, and the molds were finished poorly which means literally almost double the work in the body shop to reform all of the body lines to even try to get somewhat of a decent fitment on the car. Their have been some less than perfect aftermarket body parts made for the PT before like the old APC Kits for example, but for me, the design is ok, but the poor quality is honestly just not worth much in my opinion.

Remember, these are my personal views based on my background in paint and body, and my own experiences with working on these parts s well as similar experiences with those, and other parts that came out of the Cal Cruiser's shop, and personal dealings with PT Bob himself! My best advice on this front end would honestly be to look through the Gallery here, or at various website's, find a few people who have this front end on their PT, and shoot them over a PM (Private Message) and get their thoughts on the front end.

I wish I had better news for you on this one. Next time. Till then, you go easy, and I hope to see ya around the Forums!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 04 Jul 2009, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
I am unfortunately going to have to agree with Crewzin on this one.

Hey Don. That could have been put in a different way.

I am going to have to agree with Crewzin on this one, unfortunately.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 04 Jul 2009, 04:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Help! Custom front on a PT?

Hey their Crewzin,

Sorry bout that one! What I meant to say was, the Cal 40 front end isn't necessarily my style, but I do like someone trying to come up with a different, and unique style, that does work on certain applications like the Surf Woodies, and a couple of other applications like the PT's pictured here.

I just wish the quality would have been better when these kits were built, and old PT Bob would have been a bit better to the industry! I have seen some pretty sad stuff come out of that shop. Should have worded it a bit different though. LOL Sorry bout that their Crewzin. My bad.

Go easy,

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 04 Jul 2009, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don,

It isn't really my style but I have to say it's a unique look and done right makes a heck of a statement.

Old 05 Jul 2009, 12:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hanna , before you decide on a front end from anyone please check out the prior customers comments .I have worked with all the differnt aftermarket kits for the cruisers includeing the one you like and just want to see you get your moneys worth with as little hassels as possible.
Old 25 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know this post is a tad old but like Hannah I also love this kit. I know they are no longer on the market but you seem to be knowledgeable on pt kits. Do you perhaps know how I can achieve a similar look?
Old 14 Jul 2013, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyrenee View Post
I know this post is a tad old but like Hannah I also love this kit. I know they are no longer on the market but you seem to be knowledgeable on pt kits. Do you perhaps know how I can achieve a similar look?
Hi Brandyrenee,

I am with you completely on the look of this 40 Ford style nose/headlight treatment for the PT. However, since several months have gone by since your post with no replies, I am guessing nothing remotely like this is still available : (

I can tell you that if there was only ONE body mod I could afford to make to my convertible PT, it would be changing the headlights to a round or teardrop retro configuration, one that blends into the existing fender-line.

I have seen some custom applications with a metal panel bolted over the stock headlight opening, and then a protruding round headlight (made kind of like the vintage Ford teardrop taillight modification for the PT, which is still available). However, I don't think any of those were mass produced. They seem like one-off body shop creations, since they are all slightly different.

It is a shame that I can picture in my mind exactly how a retro shaped PT Cruiser headlight could/should look, but I am lacking the body-working skills (or money) to make it happen!

A change to a properly fender-integrated round headlight, with a wide chrome bezel, would be huge in terms of making the PT nose look more retro.

best, Rick
Old 14 Jul 2013, 05:23 pm
Banned

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!
zamfir2 likes this.