PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT STEPSIDE UPDATES (WHEELS WITH SPYDERS!!!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2009, 02:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default PT STEPSIDE UPDATES (WHEELS WITH SPYDERS!!!)

Ok, if ya been followin, you know what I grabbed for wheels..
the VW corrado ones.

I wanted retro steelies with spyders.. you all know that's a no-go for our odd wheel hub size and bolt pattern..

so... heres the update.. and as close to "spyders" as we are going to get.
First, chrome long bullet lugnuts...this gets me halfway there

I am simply going to weld steel rings to the wheel around the hub (2.25" tubing as its close enough to the 57.1mm hub hole) for a mounting surface..
then paint the centers...
now for the centers...
I found that 2.25" alum fence post caps are widely avail in many styles. I found one that (to me) is PERFECT).
so the alum caps will push over the weld-on steel rings.. Ill JB or epoxy them as I dont need to take em off, as they arent pushthru caps... and dont affect the hub grease caps that area already there or the hub nuts on the front at all.
anyway,
heres is how it looks but will be POLISHED.

heres the steel rings..

Heres two photoshop's of the wheel colors Im debating on. Ive settled on these two, but haven't made my mind up of which (black truck)

oh and I got my tailgate in!!!!! hows THIS for retro rod???
Old 06 Jul 2009, 10:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: PT STEPSIDE UPDATES (WHEELS WITH SPYDERS!!!)

Rowdy your truck has a true retro rod look and it is the best looking PT Truck that I have ever seen. I would like to add my 2 cents about the wheels, the red is the way to go.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 12:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: PT STEPSIDE UPDATES (WHEELS WITH SPYDERS!!!)

My vote would be the black wheels.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 01:12 am
Cool Cruiser

If you plan to have them powder coated, ok, my vote go to the black colour.

If you just want to paint them with regular stuff, keep 'em stock.

Ok now, the tailgate...don't get me wrong, it's your own project so you choose at the end...but I must admit that, for the very first time, I don't like your choice.

I really don't like this "locker door like" tailgate.

I'd prefer something more, how can I say, conventional. A rectangular shaped embossing with white lettering (reverse embossing would be very cool) in the center.

Something like this (sorry, I did it in a hurry...):

Old 07 Jul 2009, 07:46 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: PT STEPSIDE UPDATES (WHEELS WITH SPYDERS!!!)

Hey their Rowdy,

Looks great, and I really am digging on the center cap mod! Way to think outside the box as always!

As for the wheel color, I am kinda leaning more towards the red just because since the rest of the truck will be satin black anyways, it might give a little splash of color, and give it a little of that old school rat vibe to it. The black would look cool as well, and probably give it a more factory feel, but that is going to be a lot of black if you know what I mean.

And I also dig on the tailgate. Fits the Rat look nicely.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see that bad boy all done and ready for that first Cruise! Its been a long journey and your about due to enjoy all that hard work!

Go easy,

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 07 Jul 2009, 12:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post

If you just want to paint them with regular stuff, keep 'em stock.

Ok now, the tailgate...don't get me wrong, it's your own project so you choose at the end...but I must admit that, for the very first time, I don't like your choice.

I really don't like this "locker door like" tailgate.
No worries, ... you do know that is traditional hot rod tho? which is what im after.... louvers were a big fad as ugly as even i can admit they can be. I do like your embossed idea, a whole lot even. But im settled and I cannot imagine where to begin looking for someone to do that (press the stuff into the tailgate metal) and would be more concerned of the price to have it done. Seems they would have to make a "dolly" for it and I cannot imagine paying for that for just a single part. If I were mass producing kits, then maybe. But IM a garage junky... everything you see is done by me, made, (sometimes thrice to get it right lol), etc and nothing is purchased other than raw materials... having said that, that embossed idea is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outta my league....

as far as the louvers, I doing more.... and am looking to get a few more strips to put into the hood as well... (ack!) lol..
like this...
http://www.mini-cooper1.com/pt_flames_3.jpg
or this
http://www.hotrodlouvers.com/pt-cruiser.jpg

I do appreciate the comments..

Last edited by Rowdy; 07 Jul 2009 at 01:04 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2009, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey their Rowdy,

Looks great, and I really am digging on the center cap mod! Way to think outside the box as always!

As for the wheel color, I am kinda leaning more towards the red just because since the rest of the truck will be satin black anyways, it might give a little splash of color, and give it a little of that old school rat vibe to it. The black would look cool as well, and probably give it a more factory feel, but that is going to be a lot of black if you know what I mean.

And I also dig on the tailgate. Fits the Rat look nicely.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see that bad boy all done and ready for that first Cruise! Its been a long journey and your about due to enjoy all that hard work!

Go easy,

Candyman
Thank you Sir! Im clearly on the homestretch now .. I charged the battery the other day to turn it around and center it in the garage (planning ahead to be able to shoot it and walk around hte whole thing) and I had it out in the driveway.. I was finally able to step back a ways and gander... It has been on jackstands this whole time as I gave the original chromies and tires to a PT owner in need locally here... so I was unable before. in my neighborhood, everyone stopped.. walkers and drivers alike lol. was kinda neat to get that kind attention... but.... that aint why i did it.
I did it because i have a small......................................

tolerance for OEM stuff...
(HEY WHAT DID YOU THINK I WAS GONNA SAY??????????????????????)
hehehehhehehehhehehe
Old 07 Jul 2009, 01:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I'd prefer something more, how can I say, conventional. A rectangular shaped embossing with white lettering (reverse embossing would be very cool) in the center.

Something like this (sorry, I did it in a hurry...):

Using the FIAT logo would prolly be cheaper (less letters) hehehehehhehehhe
Old 08 Jul 2009, 09:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Concerning the embossing...maybe you could look for an old Dodge tailgate or something similar (or any other brand, maybe Ford)...then buff the DODGE lettering off and apply vinyl CHRYSLER lettering on top.

I don't know...maybe something like this from a '63:

Or this:

This one looks good too:

Ohhh...wait...here's exactly what I had in mind when I did mine in Photoshop:

After some welding and body filling, I'm sure you can achieve something really cool by yourself.

Last edited by Duster; 08 Jul 2009 at 10:10 am.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Buddy...don't look furthermore!

You HAVE it right in front of you...

Why don't you look to find the same panel than your bed front end panel?!

It has the same damn embossing that I was talking about! How cool?!

I'll try some photoshoping...stay tuned.