Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cheap grille mod for 2006-2010

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2009, 11:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cheap grille mod for 2006-2010

I'm actually kind of surprised this has never turned up in an option package or a Dream Cruiser. I own a 2006 Touring, and one of my biggest complaints with the redesign of the front fascia is how the once-prominent grille was tightened in and subordinated, in a way, to the big "corporate" under-bumper grilles. Clearly, they were trying to make it look more like the 'modern' Chrysler line-up (thankfully, they never put grooves in the hood!) instead of the retro cars that inspired it.

My solution: eBay! And not one of the aftermarket grilles that cost hundreds of $$ - a stock 2006-2010 grille! All one needs to do is get a stock black grille with the chrome trim, and replace the one already on the car (of course, this won't make any difference on a black Cruiser ); the result is a grille that not only looks larger, but the chrome bars appear to 'float' and give it a custom look without a custom price (not only eBay, but you can check out the local salvage yards, as well). And you don't even need to buy a grille - if you want to take the time and effort to carefully remove the chrome trim, you can repaint your existing grille, then put the bars back on and re-install - I bought mine because a.) it was easier, and b.) I can put the original back on if I want to resell the car (it now hangs in my garage):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blackout_grille450.jpg (77.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Ptrope; 10 Aug 2009 at 11:58 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 12:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Cheap grille mod for 2006-2010

That does make the grille stand out! That's exactly how the Xenon Cruiser looks!

Xenon Chrysler PT Cruiser Front Replacement Fascia 06-Up - AutoTruckToys.com

The Lower 3 Bar Chrome Strips from Race and Street will definitely complete the look! I give you props for a neat idea like that.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would guess that the grille in the picture of the Xenon fascia is the stock black grille; it looks like the fascia is only the bumper cover itself - I don't see Xenon spending the money to exactly reproduce Chrysler's grille (or a smart Cruiser owner spending that kind of money for a reproduction ).

BTW, when I was looking for the grille online, I also found new OEM grilles that were in black primer with the chrome strips; I went with the gloss black used grille because I think it actually looks blacker - the satin finish of the primer would tend to give a large, soft highlight and make the grille base stand out more than the smaller, sharper highlights on the gloss black paint.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 12:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrope View Post
I would guess that the grille in the picture of the Xenon fascia is the stock black grille; it looks like the fascia is only the bumper cover itself - I don't see Xenon spending the money to exactly reproduce Chrysler's grille (or a smart Cruiser owner spending that kind of money for a reproduction ).
Oh yeah, I know that the grille is the stock. I was just referring to the look of it being black on silver.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 12:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Hey thats a neat trick! Oh wait...
Old 11 Aug 2009, 06:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Nice, looks good!
Old 11 Aug 2009, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Our 2006 was black and I added the "stick on" for the grille. After we traded it for the 2008, i added the "stick on" to it as well. I also have the 3 bar lower grille from Race and Street for a finished look.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar