Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about changing out mirrors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2009, 03:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Question about changing out mirrors

I have decided (or at least think I want to) replace the stock side mirrors with these: Peep Mirrors

The question I have is will removing the stock mirrors leave a hole where the plastic base sits? If so, what is involved in filling or covering it?
Old 01 Sep 2009, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question about changing out mirrors

There's a few people out there who have installed the PTeazer side mirrors, which replace the side "sail" with their flat piece. The problem with the peeps, and I've researched them like crazy, is look very closely at how they are mounted. They are set to be mounted on the edge of a door, etc. I can't find a set of plug-and-play replacements for the convertible, which has a completely different side mirror setup from the sedan, or I would have already gone with some peeps. I think those are completely cool and a nice retro look, but good look getting them mounted! Some say they work, but I know they won't for the vert...
Old 01 Sep 2009, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Good luck finding something that'll work for you.

I've seen the pteazer mirrors, which are the most expensive ones, but it looks like they'd be the easiest in the long run because they do include the sail plate.

I bet on your convet you could have a set of mirrors bolted to the door just below the factory mirror, but it would be a lot of work to fill the sail. That's what I'm worried about on mine. Seems like the pt ones would be my best bet. Hopefully you'll find a solution, too.
Old 02 Sep 2009, 05:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I want to mount a set of color-matched peeps on my A pillar just ahead of the doors, up above the current mirror mounting. I tested the swing on the door and it would clear them. Just can't find peeps that I can just drill and mount there. If I do, I'll just fabricate a cover over the existing mirror location, probably add some turn indicator LED's there just for grins, or something. Won't just be plain...

Edit...I did find a great hot rod site that has all kinds of mirrors for all kinds of apps. Found some swans on there I may try on my PT....

This is a very rough estimate of the appearance, bad artists rendering, after paint and mirrors, with a solid on the sail where the old mirror mounted:

one of the several I liked, would like to see them before purchasing, will see...

Last edited by Chromenut; 02 Sep 2009 at 06:27 pm.
Old 02 Sep 2009, 06:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Looks like it will be nice when it's done.

I'd seen those same swan neck mirrors for about $100 a pair some place which is what prompted me to start asking about that type vs the pteazer mirrors.

If you're willing to take the Cruiser to a body shop, I bet they could weld a set to the pillar for you. Unless of course you can weld and do body, then you can handle it on your own.

I know jack about welding, so the prospect of taking fire to my car scares the crap out of me!
Old 02 Sep 2009, 09:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey Chomenut, some guy in the UK used a set of Pteazer bases only on his vert and found his own mirrors over there.Thats probably the simplest way to do it just getting the bases before the holes have been drilled in them. I think he just had to sand the front edge a bit. Oh there ($99.00) FYI ,Cheers Ray from Pteazer.
Old 02 Sep 2009, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm wanting to get a set of direct bolt-on Peeps, with a nice arched neck, like th swans. I think I can fabricate a sheet metal blank to cover that open sail cheaper than $99. I'm trying to tie all this up so that late in the fall when I get the car painted I can do this all at once.

I like the PTeazer's, but damn they are expensive, like everything they make. Of course, you're paying for PTeazer quality too, so it's not money wasted. The problem with using the same mounting survace is with Peeps they'll be too low for me. I also want mine on an adjustable swing arm so if I hit someting with them the fold up rather than break off. I've seen one of the guys with the PTeazer mirorrs and the after affect of him backing out of his garage and getting it caught on the doorway. It wasn't pretty!!!
Old 02 Sep 2009, 11:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pteazer View Post
Hey Chomenut, some guy in the UK used a set of Pteazer bases only on his vert and found his own mirrors over there.Thats probably the simplest way to do it just getting the bases before the holes have been drilled in them. I think he just had to sand the front edge a bit. Oh there ($99.00) FYI ,Cheers Ray from Pteazer.
Does Teazer make them for the vert? Didn't know that. The sail section is cut way different than what's on the sedan. I hate fixed mirrors, just asking for body/window damage with these things......
Old 03 Sep 2009, 12:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I'm wanting to get a set of direct bolt-on Peeps, with a nice arched neck, like th swans. I think I can fabricate a sheet metal blank to cover that open sail cheaper than $99. I'm trying to tie all this up so that late in the fall when I get the car painted I can do this all at once.
Let me know how that works out for you. I hadn't thought about the issue of damage with fixed mirrors. I'm not in a big hurry to do mine as I want to do it right the first time.