Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding some chrome to the grill what's best

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2009, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Adding some chrome to the grill what's best

I've been looking at adding some chrome to my grill any suggestion? I've seen grill kits on ebay that stick on with 3m tape and I've heard people buy the rolls of chrome and use that. Anybody done that or used anything else. I don't really want a full chrome grill just the horizonal parts. Thanks for any info.....
Old 07 Sep 2009, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Adding some chrome to the grill what's best

I used the ones that were pre-cut from eBay. They hold on very well and no need to worry about cutting one short.

If you have the money, Chrysler came out with a chrome package which included a grill with the chrome strips built right into the horizontal bars. It looks great but I'm sure it's quite expensive.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I got mine from a roll and have put on 2 different PT's. Our Black Limited had them already installed, our Silver Steel Touring did NOT, I put them on from the roll over a year ago and have had no problem with them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Sep 2009, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When you cut the roll type do the ends look alright?
Old 07 Sep 2009, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When cut, they show black, but I cut them on a angle and to me they look "finished".

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Sep 2009, 12:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twress View Post
I've been looking at adding some chrome to my grill any suggestion?
I bought a chrome grille from a list member, that's the eaiest way. Those 2 photos are about 2 years apart.

Actually I have some plastic chrome that I bought at Canadian Tire and I am going to put on the black gille that I took off. I'm in no hurry so I can take my time and do a good job.

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit

Last edited by Windancer; 08 Sep 2009 at 02:16 am. Reason: spelling as usual
Old 07 Sep 2009, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks Holligan for the info on what the cuts look like. I was hoping they wouldn't look funky. Thanks Windancer for the pictures but I'm going finer grill chrome not the whole thing, I like your pictures on the other thread..........

Last edited by twress; 07 Sep 2009 at 01:57 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2009, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WD, you need to do that lower grill now! As to cutting that faux chrome, I've done a lot of that on my PT, added chrome all over the place. Found that it was easiest cut with my dremel tool, then I could shape the ends to the correct angle with little trouble. 3m tape later, and voila!

Old 07 Sep 2009, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey Chromenut thanks for the dremel idea that will make things a lot easier. That's why were all here, everybody always seems kind of solution to about anything............ Hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend!
Old 08 Sep 2009, 02:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I got mine from a roll and have put on 2 different PT's. Our Black Limited had them already installed, our Silver Steel Touring did NOT, I put them on from the roll over a year ago and have had no problem with them.
Can you post a pic of the grill i like to take a look at it..
What kind of chrome tape (roll) did you use??