PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rusted-out rocker panels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2009, 07:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Rusted-out rocker panels?

Everyone,
I bought my silver 02 PT this past May, with 86,000kms and one very badly rusted-out rocker panel - the right side one has rusted through completely along a 12 inch or so section. The left one only has some surface rust.
I knew this was a problem with the car when I purchased it, in fact I factored it into my offer.
But local estimates to repair the rocker panels are waaaaay more than I thought.
The cost to purchase and install new rocker panels is about $1,000 - not something I can afford.
So I have searched the Internet for rocker repair panels - panels that will simply fit on over the original rockers by welding or riveting (I will cut away and rust paint the offending hole, of course). But I cannot find any.
My second thought was chrome rocker panel trim, but those that I find seem to only cover the vertical section of the rocker panels, when what I need to cover is the horizontal section (which is up out of sight when you are standing next to the car).
Any suggestions about rocker repair panels or chrome rocker panel trim? Anyone?
Old 08 Sep 2009, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rusted-out rocker panels?

You'd have to do both sides to match....

01-up Chrysler Pt Cruiser Body Kits from Xenon at Andy's Auto Sport

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Sep 2009, 07:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You maybe could install some xenon side moldings to cover up the problem. But rust never sleeps and if you plan on keeping your car for a while you will have to deal with it at some point down the track. So my first choice would be to save up for the rust to be cut out properly and repaired.You might get a cheeper quote from a body shop that could bend a metal patch instead of having to use a factory rocker panel .
Old 30 Sep 2009, 01:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Pteazer,
Yeah, you are right. I bit the bullet and have scheduled an appointment with a local bodywork place to have both rocker panels repaired properly. All rust will be cut out and heavy galvanized steel will be welded (not riveted) in place, then rustproofed and painted to match the body.
I only bought the car in May, and have fallen in love with it so much already that I decided my only option was to do the right thing.