Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog lights.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Fog lights.

Is there a kit for these cars for the fog lights and does it come with everthing you need or do most of you put on the aftermarket ones?
Old 08 Sep 2009, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fog lights.

I've read there is a dealer kit that comes with all.
There is, of course, aftermarket, with a wide variety of quality...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sort of related question (didn't want to start a new thread).

I have a 2001 PT that I bought used. The green fog light symbol on the dash remains on when the car is running and I can see the connections where the fog lights are supposed to be.

Do I need to buy the whole kit or just the actual lamps? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wow, do you run with your parking lights on? Just curious as there shouldn't be any indication of them being on unless the MFS is pulled out, turning them on. Also, if the car came without them, the PCM should have been programmed by the stealership so that the indicator would never come on. Sounds liek maybe someone had them installed in the past.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Chromenut.
From your answer, I'm assuming they are on, but there is no headlamp in the housing currently.
I'm not sure if the car came with them or without them.
I bought the car from a private party who wasn't the original owner.
I'm woefully inept when it comes to car related acronyms, so I don't know what MFS or PCM means...
But if I get the jist what you are telling me, it seems like if I install the lamps, I will be able to turn off or on the green indicator light...
Any suggestions on where to get replacement fog lights?

Last edited by BranVonWolfe; 18 Sep 2009 at 11:26 am.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MFS = multifunction switch, also your turn signal switch
PCM = Powertrain Control Module (aka brains of the beast)

So are the fog light housings still installed? You can tell by looking under the front edge of the car and see if you can see the back side and the alignment screws. Try turning your tires all the way to the right, then look into the fender well on the drivers side to see if you can see them.

If the housings are there and they just removed the bulbs, then I'd suggest Sylvania's as replacements, will have to look up the part number cause I've slept since replacing mine...lol...

If they are not installed at all, but the wiring is there, still not a big deal, and I think I know someone who might have a set, will have to ask him...
Old 18 Sep 2009, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you push the MFS in (towards the steering wheel) the indicator light should turn off. If it doesn't then there is something wrong with your MFS. It has been a ongoing problem in some PT's. It should NOT be on when just the headlamps are on.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Sep 2009, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys.

I need to check for the actual "housing" in this case to determine what is and isn't installed. I do know the wiring is there.

One thing that does have me worried, is that the indicator light is on no matter if the headlamps are on or not.

I'm going to try and push the MFS towards the steering wheel and see if does anything.

UPDATE: Bummer! Pushing in the MFS towards the steering wheel does turn off the indicator light. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Last edited by BranVonWolfe; 18 Sep 2009 at 04:32 pm. Reason: Update on MFS push test.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranVonWolfe View Post
UPDATE: Bummer! Pushing in the MFS towards the steering wheel does turn off the indicator light. Any suggestions on what I should do next?
If it turns off the indicator light then great, it's fixed. You now need to get you some fog lights to put in that empty spot up front.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
If it turns off the indicator light then great, it's fixed. You now need to get you some fog lights to put in that empty spot up front.
And if it doesn't, you need a new multi-function switch - not hard to put in, but you do need small torqx driver.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles