PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A little help needed, spare tire nut? Dent on the trunk door

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2009, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A little help needed, spare tire nut? Dent on the trunk door

OK,

Well I've been dealing with these problems for awhile.

Last school semester or maybe the one before that I had gotten a flat tire around the college campus, so I simply put the spare tire on and all, that's fine. Then after noticing I got home, my spare tire holder is just down and not up. I noticed that when my friend did it, he dropped it all the way and the nut fell out or w.e. So now, when I drive ( every day atleast, 5 days a week for delivering/going to and back from college... ) I hear the spare tire holder making noises, I've made it tighter so it's not as annoying but it gets loose fast and now I just want another to keep the spare tire there because it's sitting in my trunk....

Then I have a really nice dent in my trunk door from when I went bodyboarding in a blizzard (The recent one last winter in NY).......

I got stuck in a dirt parking lot that everyone was in....none the less I needed a big guy to pull me out. I signed papers so they aren't responsible if they mess up my car.... the guy has a huge snow plow in front of his truck so he tells me to slowly reverse or I can hit his plow. I figured this would be really easy and I'd tip him once he helped me. But no, I reverse slowly and never hear him shout "stop" or "slower!!" because all I hear next is a DINK and I get out and there's that nice dent with scratches on my trunk...

I've pulled off the back panel of the trunk to push the dent back to normal with a towel over a bat, but that isn't working. What other ways can I fix this dent myself?

Thanks.... if you need pics I'm sure I have some lying around from my phone's camera.......so it's not the best.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A little help needed, spare tire nut? Dent on the trunk door

The rear tire rack is made to have a tire inside so it don't rattle around (as you found out). I'm not sure I understand your last part but why not stick the spare tire (flat or not) back into the carrier?

As far as the dent. The towel and bat procedure isn't the greatest thing you could have tried but you do need some specialized tools to do it right. There are things you can buy at auto stores to try and pull it out, but they never seem to work the same way they do on T.V. There should be a dent repair shop somewhere in your area and they are a lot cheaper than a body shop. Candyman (on this forum) talked quite a bit about them and I've used them personally.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Oct 2009, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A little help needed, spare tire nut? Dent on the trunk door

You lost the "t" bolt at the end of the spare tire holder?
parting out a 2005 pt cruiser 17k miles

or
pt cruiser parts 01 limited

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles