Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
More NEW taillights...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2003, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default More NEW taillights...

Available at www.procarparts.com and ebay. Looks nice! Wonder if that's the OEM vendor and whether there's enough interest out there to have them do a solid red? (Yes, I know it can be done as a custom mod.) Just a thought.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 04:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nope, Hella is the OEM on the factory tails.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 29 Sep 2003, 04:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

I know Hella is OEM, but I doubt anyone can "copy" a Hella part. Reviewing the pic, it looks [u]exactly</u> like the OEM piece.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 04:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

It isn't a copy, the turn signal is white, whereas the OE unit is Amber. I know, I know, other than that, it does look identical, and you're right, but all it takes is that minor change, and otherwise they can copy it to their hearts content.The OE units are made in Mexico by either Hellamex or EOSA, so if these come out of mexico, I would bet that they are made by Hella and sold only to the aftermarket, although I have no way to confirm that.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 30 Sep 2003, 12:25 am
Young Cruiser

Doesn't the law require amber turn signals? What would you do then with these.....put in an amber bulb?
GW
Old 30 Sep 2003, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GW

Doesn't the law require amber turn signals? What would you do then with these.....put in an amber bulb?
GW
GW, Laws vary according to state, but NO...you don't have to have amber turn signals in the rear. Many cars and trucks including my Vette have red turn signals in the rear. Now, after saying that, I don't believe a white bulb would be legal for rear turning signals anywhere so your right in saying that an amber bulb would have to be fitted into those lights.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 10:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

In Pa. you're required to have red or amber turn signal lights on the back of the vehicle. I'm thinking that amber lamps would look good in those, or even a silver coated lamp that illuminates amber.

Alan [}]
Old 30 Sep 2003, 12:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Since these taillights would be considered a custom mod, please think it through. You do need a 3157 bulb, but please do not put in one of those hyper-diper blue bulbs and blind the guy behind you . Even the stock set up is too bright.

IMHO, the real custom setup is going to be an amber or red chrome/titanium-coated 3157 so it appears invisible just like in the pic.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 03:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GW

GW
I don't think you ned to worry about the amber. I had mine painted all red and if you look there are plenty of other cars that have all red or clear and red taillights. What they look for is the DOT approved on the lens if that is there I don't think you have to worry. N J is one of the toughest states for inspection and the all red went right thru
Old 30 Sep 2003, 03:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Besides, The silver coated (arctic Yellow)lamps that illuminate amber are not as bright as the standard amber OEM bulb. I have put them in my Gen3 taillights, because the lens for the turn signal is clear. An original OEM amber 3157 was too bright. The Arctic yellow lamps muted the light output to a very pleasing level. Bright enough to see but not so bright as to blind anyone.

Alan [}]