PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crashed my PT, Need reparing but thinking of upgrading.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2009, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Crashed my PT, Need reparing but thinking of upgrading.

Sideview

http://i34.tinypic.com/2sb4yh2.jpg

Closeup
http://i37.tinypic.com/103gy34.jpg

Front View
http://i35.tinypic.com/2zqy5p0.jpg

I attached the images there and I already got the estimate. The guy lost the case so I'm getting paid for my car. Which is good news because I'm gonna fix it and get some money back so I can fix my speakers, power lock and while I"m fixing the car I might as well modernize it to the 09 look. Now I need to make sure the only thing different between the 05 and 06,07,08,09 is the following.

Headlights- The newer ones have headlights which have little boobs.... Hard to describe but the older ones are a solid shape while the other ones have indentations.

Bumper- The bumper is different to accommodate the new shape of the headlights.

Grill- The grill is different but it seems to have the same dimensions

Now from my understanding of the PT Cruiser they are all the same internally (screws and what not) So I could put the newer parts on my older PT with no problem correct?

I'm also thinking of putting HID (Xenon Lights) and put those Halo ish fog lights.... and could someone explain the vinyl eyelid thing...

Over all any recommendations are nice my budget is $1300 ish I can get the fender for $75 bucks and I get the paint job cheap (my dad works in the automotive industry and he knows people) I still need to see exactly whats going on but I know I'm getting paid close to 1000.

EDIT- After much researching I think I'm gonna go with this
http://www.limboland.net/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=2

I just need someone to confirm that this will infact fit with my 05 PT correct? That and the fact thatI need to change my headlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1027091130-06.jpg (94.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1027091129-01.jpg (88.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1027091129-02.jpg (88.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by rubsnick; 28 Oct 2009 at 11:34 pm.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 02:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Crashed my PT, Need reparing but thinking of upgrading.

Headlights- The newer ones have headlights which have little boobs.... Hard to describe but the older ones are a solid shape while the other ones have indentations.
Yes, the 06 & Up models have that extra indentation at the bottom.

Bumper- The bumper is different to accommodate the new shape of the headlights.
Yes, the bumper is different not only to mold into the headlights, but it is also flatter on the outsides.

Grill- The grill is different but it seems to have the same dimensions
I've heard that the upper grille is a little wider. The bottom grille is definitely different as it has a wider black honeycombish design.

I just need someone to confirm that this will infact fit with my 05 PT correct? That and the fact thatI need to change my headlights.
Now I wanna say "yes," but I think you should ask Ray at PTeazer. Ask him if he's had to convert an 01 - 05 front into an 06 - 09 while adding on a PTeazer front fascia/grille.

As for the vinyl eyelids, you can ask slayerdarkcross or ODADDYO about that.

Here's a link to one of 02PT's threads that gives a closeup of his front displaying the early models. Then the next picture is mine which is an 08.
No more gray Bumpers
Old 29 Oct 2009, 04:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Crashed my PT, Need reparing but thinking of upgrading.

Hey their rubsnick,

Sorry to hear about your incident, but glad to hear you found a good resolution and are getting it fixed.

As for upgrading to the newer front end, the older to newer front ends are not compatible unfortunately, so the inner structure would take quite a bit of modifications to make it all work. Not saying its impossible, but would be a lot more work, money, and time to get it to fit.

If you would still like Ray's Bumperette, and Retro Grille, Ray has it in the older body style as well which would be far less aggravation.

Anyways, you go easy and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 29 Oct 2009, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Hmm I thought they were interchangeable as Ray has done it a few times. Including Captain over at FairJacc performance.

My front end is based off the 01-05 style that Ron has on his PT and the only thing we had to do was update to the newer headlights and cut the wheel well plastic.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

http://shinyautos.com/shop/images/ptcrumor1.JPG

I WANT THOSE HEADLIGHTS! If I get them then I'll simply buy the 05 bodykit and I wouldn't have compatibility issues... does anyone know wht those things are called?

BTW: I doubt I'll put eyelids... I'll probably put tints on it or something.

NVM.... I found out those htings are MOrette Headlights... kinda expensive... way over my budget.

Last edited by rubsnick; 29 Oct 2009 at 08:42 pm.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 04:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Crashed my PT, Need reparing but thinking of upgrading.

Hey their Guys,

I wasn't aware Ray had done an update conversion to the older body style. Do you know what needed to be modified to update the headlight assembly, and front fasia in order to get a tight fitment, and more so how difficult was it to get the gap to align right? And then, if he was using the Bumperette, and Retro Grille combo, how much tweaking needed to be done their as well to get the front end aligned and gaped before final prep and paint? Many times whaen you change the configuration by updating, you could easily run into needing to tweak parts, or do slight modifications to correct for a proper fitment. The same usually goes for working with most Aftermarket parts as their could be slight inconsistencies, and so forth that may need to be corrected, or addressed to before final prep and paint. What I was getting at is, their are a lot of variables that may come up which could add to the cost of both materials, and labor to do the job correctly, and get a good outcome on the project. The more the materials, and time involved in getting things lined up as they should be, the more cost that could incur, so keep that in mind. Unless you already have experience in custom paint and body work, and have tried to install and gap parts that both are Aftermarket, and not year specific, then I would honestly say that you will more than likely have some more work involved instead of simply bolting parts on and go straight to paint.

As for your Fender, the $75 for your fender would be more consistent with either an Aftermarket Reproduction, or used part instead of an OEM CAPA Certified factory replacement which should run which should run you approximately $130 - $150 range. The big difference is the Aftermarket fender is basically a factory knock off made from a lot lighter less structural material, and is therefore cheaper than the OEM counterpart. It also will be much easier to dent, or could flex more than other parts due to its lighter density which if not prepped and painted to compensate could leed to paint issues down the road such as flaking off, and so on.

Then the last issue would be budget.

Lets say just for argument sake, you bought the Fender at your $75 cost, and had zero issues involved with the install, and then you got a good deal on your paint, for example getting the time and labor for free, and just pay for the materials involved. Here would be a quick breakdown of your project.

Fender:
$75.00

PTeazer Bumperette Front Fascia with Full Retro Grille
$1,140.00

Updated Headlight assembly Left and Right: Certified OEM Replacement:
$118.95, or $238.00 for the set.

surface prep materials, and a Factory Pack of waterborne Base/Clear Paint
to shoot the fender, complete front end, and blend the passenger front door, hood, and left front fender:
Roughly $400 - $500+ not including labor for the removal and disposal of the old parts, install of the new parts any fitment or related issues, time in the booth both for spraying, and for baking the base, and clear.

Total:
$1840.90

plus tax and shipping.

By the time you add the rest of the factors in, you will unfortunately be close if not more than double your budget to pull off the look. Please keep in mind, I am not trying to discourage you, but rather make sure you understand everything involvolved in a project like this. Anyways, for what its worth, that is my two cents into the mix. I wish you all the best in your repairs, and hope it all comes together good as new.

Go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey their Guys,

I wasn't aware Ray had done an update conversion to the older body style. Do you know what needed to be modified to update the headlight assembly, and front fasia in order to get a tight fitment, and more so how difficult was it to get the gap to align right? And then, if he was using the Bumperette, and Retro Grille combo, how much tweaking needed to be done their as well to get the front end aligned and gaped before final prep and paint? Many times whaen you change the configuration by updating, you could easily run into needing to tweak parts, or do slight modifications to correct for a proper fitment. The same usually goes for working with most Aftermarket parts as their could be slight inconsistencies, and so forth that may need to be corrected, or addressed to before final prep and paint. What I was getting at is, their are a lot of variables that may come up which could add to the cost of both materials, and labor to do the job correctly, and get a good outcome on the project. The more the materials, and time involved in getting things lined up as they should be, the more cost that could incur, so keep that in mind. Unless you already have experience in custom paint and body work, and have tried to install and gap parts that both are Aftermarket, and not year specific, then I would honestly say that you will more than likely have some more work involved instead of simply bolting parts on and go straight to paint.

As for your Fender, the $75 for your fender would be more consistent with either an Aftermarket Reproduction, or used part instead of an OEM CAPA Certified factory replacement which should run which should run you approximately $130 - $150 range. The big difference is the Aftermarket fender is basically a factory knock off made from a lot lighter less structural material, and is therefore cheaper than the OEM counterpart. It also will be much easier to dent, or could flex more than other parts due to its lighter density which if not prepped and painted to compensate could leed to paint issues down the road such as flaking off, and so on.

Then the last issue would be budget.

Lets say just for argument sake, you bought the Fender at your $75 cost, and had zero issues involved with the install, and then you got a good deal on your paint, for example getting the time and labor for free, and just pay for the materials involved. Here would be a quick breakdown of your project.

Fender:
$75.00

PTeazer Bumperette Front Fascia with Full Retro Grille
$1,140.00

Updated Headlight assembly Left and Right: Certified OEM Replacement:
$118.95, or $238.00 for the set.

surface prep materials, and a Factory Pack of waterborne Base/Clear Paint
to shoot the fender, complete front end, and blend the passenger front door, hood, and left front fender:
Roughly $400 - $500+ not including labor for the removal and disposal of the old parts, install of the new parts any fitment or related issues, time in the booth both for spraying, and for baking the base, and clear.

Total:
$1840.90

plus tax and shipping.

By the time you add the rest of the factors in, you will unfortunately be close if not more than double your budget to pull off the look. Please keep in mind, I am not trying to discourage you, but rather make sure you understand everything involvolved in a project like this. Anyways, for what its worth, that is my two cents into the mix. I wish you all the best in your repairs, and hope it all comes together good as new.

Go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Thanks for the advice but my father knows a guy who does great work. He has worked on my PT several times before and we already talked to him. He said that he won't charge more then 300 since it's simply paint new parts and put them on which is pretty simple. I sent Ray and email and I"m gonna see what he tells me about the whole deal. I actually found the replacement fender for $45 (my father knows people who sell autoparts) so that's a huge load off. I don't mind having a replacement fender and understand that they are well replacements. The grill and bumper cover set I understand the prices off and all that. Depdending on what Ray answers is what I do (and how much I get from the insurance) I'll also be getting replacement headlights (since I plan on modifying the buggers no use getting OEM's) So by getting them replacement I can get the set of 06 for 140 ish.

This guy that my father knows repainted my door and fixed a den't on it (made when some guy broke into my car and stole my backpack) I dent in the rear under the headlight (got it like that) and fixed the cracked bumper cover (it was cracked on the edges) this included Paint and taking stuff apart and he only charged $100 for it all. And he did a hell of a good job. Then he did it again when my bumper cracked for a second time (on both sides this time) he ficed it and added metal brackets so that the bumper wouldn't crack again.... HE did a fine job because the bumper didn't crack where it usually did (as you can see in the pics of the accident) for only $100 bucks. He also already has my paint in stock and all and is familiar with my car. So doing all of that will at most cost me $300. I'd be saving a good $400 by using replacement parts and stuff so overall I'm sure that It won't come out that expensive for me.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 04:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright Ray replied to my email and I've solved everything (for the most part)

I'm getting his fronts, the 06 one (hopefully) He said that there is no problem with them as the only difference is the headlights and I"m upgrading those. For the most part if I get enough money from the insurance I'll be getting that front. That and the fact that the Fender came out to only $50 (my dad has connections) it's a replacement but for $50 you cannot go wrong. I'll now try and deal with Ray and seeing how to get it to Puerto Rico. Then it's a matter of waiting and seeing if I have enough for it. If I do you will see my car all supped up! I'll probably be advertising all over this place XD. Nah but I will put my car in my sig, hell I'll probably try and make it PT Cruiser Club ready. I want people to look at that car and say "Awesome". Since it's a convertible it will have that awesome hot rod look.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 01:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Glad to hear you got in contact with Ray! Told ya he would fix ya with a deal!