Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Wings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2010, 12:57 am
Young Cruiser

Default Rear Wings

I was curious if anyone bought one of the wings from ebay and if they are any good.They are listed pretty cheaply but in the pictures they look good and they have free shipping and paint it the color of your car.I don't know if i should trust on of these or get one from the dealer.Ebay sells them between $100 to $150.Any imput on these will help me make my decision whether i should get one or not,thank you.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 07:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Wings

I just looked on eBay and they range from $39 to $239. Wow, what a difference. Some painted to match , other say "ready to be painted".

If you like what they look like, just make sure you pick a good seller. Read the selling score and look at the feedbacks. See where they are being shipped from and count the shipping price as part of the whole picture.

They aren't hard to put on but a drilling template helps a whole lot. Yes, you have to drill two holes on each side of the hatch. If you have time, write the seller and see if they include the drilling template.

Know the exact color of your cruiser and the paint code (on the door sticker) and ask if that's exactly what they are being painted with.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jan 2010, 03:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Rear Wings

Hey Guys,

The only things I will add are to really watch out for the cheaper wings especially on Ebay as their are a lot of really cheap molds out their and people trying to make a quick buck off of them. A large percentage of aftermarket parts wind up needing a fair amount of extra work to get a good fitment. If a part is really cheap in cost, its likely to need a lot of time in getting the part to work right. So be warned on the cheaper parts.

Also, beware of pre-painted parts as it is almost 100% positive it will not match, and likely will be off by 3-4 shades either darker, or lighter at best as the paint on your PT is not anywhere near its original stock color pigmentation due to slight oxidation, and any number of atmospheric, and related conditions, as well as a variance in OEM Paint mixture directly from the assembly plant in Toluca Lake MX. The only way to get a good match is to be able to adjust for color via a computer match by a qualified painter in a good Body Shop, and even then it needs to be blended out as to trick the eye and make it almost invisible. Otherwise, unless it is not a top priority if it matches, odds are you may likely be dis-satisfied with the results.

Same thing happens all the time with poeple trying to do paint touch up on their vehicles. It just won't match up to your paint without having the right equipment, to get the right match for your specific paint instead of trying to rely on a one size fits all scenario.

I am not trying to discourage anything, but just want to give you a realistic heads up so you hopefully know what your getting into, and are aware of the downside so you don't get disappointed.

I wish you the very best of luck, and please feel free to ask any more questions you may have, and I will be more than happy to try to answer them as best I can anytime.

Go easy,and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 12 Jan 2010, 02:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I bought one off of Ebay about 2 months ago.. I don't remember the seller, but it was painted and had free shipping and the total was like $107. When I received it, I was really surprised at the quality of it. It was packaged extremely well, and matched my paint perfectly. Installation was a bit strange though.. and it requires big balls, because you have to drill through your trunk.. but all in all, I think it's definitely worth it.. just make sure you're buying from an Ebay Power Seller, and you'll be fine.

Old 14 Jan 2010, 11:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys for the info. Hopefully i can get a good one and be happy with it.