PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Awaiting pillars and scuff guards-EXCITED plus ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2010, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Awaiting pillars and scuff guards-EXCITED plus ??

It's been a good while since I've posted, though I've stopped here now and then when looking for info. I finally got my thermostat taken care of. Once I discovered the drip pan I bought would not fit under the car without Rhino Ramps (oops) I took it to a friend's mechanic. I provided the parts and antifreeze and he did the work for cheap. I still want to change my spark plugs, but it's running well with just the wire replacements, so I'm not impatient about that.

Boring stuff out of the way now. I've just ordered my chrome pillar post accenting, and it's supposed to arrive on Wednesday though I'm sure the holiday will delay it. I also ordered scuff guards from Race and Street. I am terribly excited about this! I have wanted them for so long but never was able to afford them- not expensive, I know, but finances were just too tight. I can't wait to get it decked out so it stands out from the crowd! I will definitely supply photos to anyone interested once it's done, too

I am constantly looking at everyone else's Cruisers to see their mods (or factory trim/accessories depending on the model) and working at a gas station, I see a good half a dozen every single day.

Today I saw one with the deflectors over the windows, which reminded me that I want a set of them for my car. They were the black polymer. I have seen chrome ones for sale too, but I think that won't suit my car very well. Has anyone installed these, and how durable are they? Installation looks like it'll be simple.

I am also coveting the door spears. However, my car is a 2005 Classic and instead of spears, it has grooves pressed into the door where the spears should be. I'm hoping I can find mods for this. I've read the descriptions at Race and Street, but I am not 100% certain there's a spear molding specifically for a car like mine. (More likely than not, it's just me being thick. That happens sometimes.)

And one more question. Does anyone use the clip-on hubcap covers? Seems I should be able to just pick out what I like that fits my tire size and then just stick them on with no fuss, but no one describes exactly how this works. Will I need to remove the factor hubcaps and then clip these onto the wheel rims? While I'd love to have real rims, faker ones are cheaper

Thanks all!
Old 17 Jan 2010, 12:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Awaiting pillars and scuff guards-EXCITED plus ??

My suggestion is look into Weatherflector window guards.
No glue, no screws - they fit into the window channel.
I moved mine from my '02 to my '05 - still good.
They fit in closer and while tricky to get in, they are great!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2010, 02:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Awaiting pillars and scuff guards-EXCITED plus ??

I've installed the wind deflectors also. The ones I bought are EGR:

EGR Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Pc SlimLine In-Channel Smoked Window Visors 01-Up - AutoTruckToys.com

They came with detailed instructions. The fronts sometimes get in the way with rolling the window up. And the rear passenger one once flew off because of the adhesive weakening. I easily got it back on with 3m automotive tape from Wal-Mart.

I like it a lot because not only does it allow you to crack the windows regardless of rain, but to me it also gives it a slight "chopped top" look from the side by narrowing the appearance of the large windows.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 04:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think the Weatherflector and the EGR ones both look great. I rarely roll my windows down, so I'm not too worried about that factor. Texas has a very slim window of good weather before it gets too bloody hot to have the windows down XD

The EGR do look a little cheaper than the Weatherflector, so that'll factor in once I'm ready to go for it.

Thanks!
Old 21 Jan 2010, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's a few pics.

My new shifter, just because I really love it.

Boooooring exterior.

Yes, I took a pic of the pillars with their protective film still on.

Shiny!

VERY shiny.

Prep took maybe 20 minutes. I cleaned all the windows inside and out, then went over the pillars with degreaser. I used up one towel doing a preliminary cleaning, then went over all of them again with more degreaser and a clean towel until that one didn't pick up any more gunk. THEN I went over it with yet another clean towel and some rubbing alcohol- got a little more gunk, but not very much and the towel wasn't showing any dirt after turning it to a clean side.

Next, I took each piece and laid it against its pillar to see how close a match it was. Some were near perfect and some were slightly off. None of them made a "terrible" match though, so I was ready to attach them. It didn't take too long. I started by pulling up the bottom part from the backing and getting it aligned, then holding it firmly and pulling the tape cover upward. You can make minor adjustments if you only expose about half an inch of the tape, but any more than that, you won't be able to make it move too much.

Once I got them all installed, I pulled off the film, then recleaned my windows since they'd gotten a bit of degreaser on them.

Of course, then interior needed some loving after that, so I cleaned up the dash and other plastic/vinyl around the dash and doors, then polished the painted dash and gauge panels until they were nice and shiny.

I am pretty pleased. I wish that the pillars could have been made so the chrome actually folded slightly along the edges to completely cover up the stock parts, but I realize that would probably be pretty difficult to get done correctly. An alternative of course is to have actual chrome pillars installed and the stock ones removed, but that's too much expense for me.

It looks really good from a distance, but anyone getting up close to inspect it is going to see the imperfections. I would say I am 95% satisfied. It isn't absolutely perfect, but it is very good quality and I would get them again if I had another Cruiser with plain stock pillars.

Now I am awaiting my door cups/scuff guards, and once those are installed, I'll get more photos.

Aaaand. I saw this when I stopped at Maaco to ask about paintjobs:

2007 4-speed convertible: First mod up! Chrome belt line, followed by doorcups ASAP.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 10:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Clip on wheelcovers work fine for me. Once in a while you might get one that doesn't clip on as tight though. Pot holes also become a big enemy. And if you get chrome finish wheel covers, take them off suring the winter. I forgot to, and the salt ate pits into the chrome finish.

If I remember correctly, you have to remove one lug nut to lose the oem covers, and then there are two lugs you have to unclip the covers from.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wellllll, now I got the convertible, this no longer applies Lol.

Thanks for the comments though!

2007 4-speed convertible: First mod up! Chrome belt line, followed by doorcups ASAP.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

So what are the plans for the vert?
Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, lots of things. I changed the antenna bezel because I had that sitting around from my last one. I want to do the belt line kit and wheel well trim first.