PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrome trim - Please Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2010, 04:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Chrome trim - Please Help

Hi
I am trying to find a replacement bit of trim for my PT. Its is the 3 bar side trim, one side has bit missing.

I have attached a photo if anyone knows where I could find.

I dont think its original.

Any help would be fantastic

Cheers Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 3699.jpg (68.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3700.jpg (72.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 23 Jan 2010, 05:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chrome trim - Please Help

Phil, Welcome to the Forum!!! I can't give you much, but try Stream.ine.com. He may know where you could get it. BTW, looking at your pic, it looks as if someone removed it to rework the rear quarter and the door.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Jan 2010, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chrome trim - Please Help

Phil,

It's hard t tell from the pic. What is it made out of? Hooligan gave you a good suggestion but the link is not quite right. Here's it is again: StreamlineDesign - Get Graphic With Us!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jan 2010, 08:29 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Chrome trim - Please Help

Hello their Phil,

Welcome to the Forum.

I am going to take a guess here and say your nice stripe their is made up of smooth vinyl Striping Tape, kind of like a sticker right?

Plces like Pep Boys sells various patterns, and colors of Vinyl Trim Tape all the time, as does places like Streamline Design, and so on. They are really a way cool, and effective tool to not only make your Ride look pretty sweet, they can also create optical illusions as if you may not have a perfect paint job but still want to look cool, by adding striping, or vinyl graphics to your Ride, it can trick the eye by giving it something more interesting to look at. In addition, Vinyl Graphics are becoming more, and more wildly popular as they are non-permanent so graphics can change with you any time you like if need be. Vinyl is also much cheaper over paint. Naturally I would rather paint your Ride up with some trick paint, but vinyl workd for sure!

Anyways, now that we got the vinyl discussion out of the way, I would venture to say the Stripe you have got their was some kit made by some small Company which makes Aftermarket Vinyl Striping kit. It may, or more than likely may no longer be available. Your next option would be to see if someone like Streamline Design might be able to make something close to what you want, but the problem is, it really would need to be seen in person to get a good match, and even then, the colors in the Vinyl might have faded, or slightly bleached out with the sun at which point it would by next to impossible to match old to new.

So from my prospective, I would really recommend taking a Hair Dryer, slowly heat the rest of your stripe vinyl and peel it off of your paint, and start over from scratch. It would just be by far easier rather than trying to match something lke that up, and since Vinyl Tape is not very expensive, your just not saving much to try to save it.

Once stripped the old vinyl off of your paint, you can either look around for any number of way cool designs from Streamline Designs, or other related types of Graphics Companies, or even try to track down a good Vinyl Sign Company close to you and maybe design your own. Weather your going with another simple stripe, or a whole Graphic, application is very easy, much like applying a large sticker, or most anyplace who does Vinyl signs can also help should you run into any trouble or are unsure of your ability to put the graphics on. Usually it is around 10 - 15 minutes labor in most cases so the cost involved is minimal.

So, just to recap, I would remove the rest of the old stuff, abd look for something new to update it with.

If you would like to just redo some nice striping around the Body Line like you had, and would like to do that yourself using Vinyl Tape, I can walk you through the process to do it on your own if you like.

Anyways, again welcome to the Forum, go easy, and let me know if I could be of any help anytime, and we can go from their.

Hope to see ya around.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing