PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

door handle removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default door handle removal

I've gotten carried away lately customizing the cruiser. Well, that's kind of an understament...addicted is probably more accurate. Started with replacing the shocks and struts, turned into lowering, and now I can't stop. Next on the list is to paint the exterior door handles. I want to get rid off all the chrome on the car. I recently painted all my lugs and center caps with Metalcast smoke paint and they came out awesome on my black rims. Has an anodized dark/smoke chrome look. Now I want to paint the door handles and emblems to match. Figured it would be a lot easier, and more professional looking, to remove and paint rather than tape off on car. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with removal of the handles before I undertake it. There is nothing in my manual to describe the process. Stops with panel removal. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old 08 Mar 2010, 10:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross
Default Re: door handle removal

I found this was a good way
Old 09 Mar 2010, 11:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: door handle removal

Hey their bds02pt,

Here is basically how to remove the outside door handles, and emblems for painting. You most likely already know this, but just in case, the door handles and emblems are made from chrome plated hardened plastic. I originally was going to have them powder coated Black Chrome thinking they were made from pot metal. Now my plan is to powder coat my wheels, and come back and shoot candy black over the chrome to get the look I want. So far I have only seen two PT's with handles painted body color so it should be a pretty cool and rare mod.

First front handles.

1. Remove the Door Panel, and Water Dam from the inside of the Door.

2. Next move the Glass to the full up position

3. Disconnect the outer Door Handle Link to the Latch

4. Remove the nut holding the outer Handle to the Body

5. Remove the Handle from the vehicle

Rear Handles are basically the same.

1. Remove the door panel,

2. disconnect the Handel, and

3. remove the nut holding the handle to the outside,

and bada bing.

The front Emblem should be fairly self explanatory, the back is a bit more complicated

If you do choose to do this Mod, it is really pretty cool Mod, Just make sure you are aware that both the Door Handles, as well as the Emblems are for the most part Polycarbonate Plastic which requires some special care when Painting as well as for prep, and priming, as the hardened Polycarbonate Material can potentially becoming warped, and distorted due to using the wrong materials to prep, and paint with.

Other than that, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask away and I would be more than happy to try to help wherever I can.

Go easy, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 09 Mar 2010 at 11:56 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 12:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info Candyman! Doesn't sound so bad to undertake. I was worried I'd be fishing with a hook tool for hours trying to disconnect the handle. I forgot to look inside the door at accessability when I was wiring the m3 mirror signal lights. My '02 is steel blue and I've recently installed some black rims and painted the bumpers and mirrors a satin black. I also painted my grill black (next is lower door spears) and installed some chrome strips that I also smoked. It has a good contrast instead of being all black or chromed out IMO. I've been using the duplicolor metalcast paint and it has came out nice thus far. I cleaned with wax and tar remover, sprayed three coats of duplicolor adhesion promotor, and three coats of the smoke metalcast paint. Did not sand any parts, as directions stated, so as not to scar the shiny surface. Now the stock handles are too chrome for the style I'm in the process of going for. I am assuming the metalcast will do fine on the handle material since it worked on the chrome strips so well. My only concern at this point is the long-term durability of it on such a high use part such as the handle...guess I'll find out. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product...I know it will set it apart from the crowd as I've haven't seen one around locally with this mod and I figured would be a nice touch to match the other components. Any suggestions on my process are welcome. Thanks so much for your advice in my other posts as well. You rock

I wish I could shave 'em slayerdarkcross (love the clean style), but this is definitely a budget build. Maybe on my next PT
Old 10 Mar 2010, 08:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

theres 2 nuts on the front handle, and one is behind that lil' plastic plug on the door jamb part...
i learned this the hard way
Old 22 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help folks! I was able to remove and install pretty easily...helps I got skinny fingers lol. Painted them and they came out great. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. You guys are the best resource!!!
Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just some pics of the 'new' handles. Cheap mod and i'm pleased
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01 Apr 2010, 01:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: door handle removal

NIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!